If you're somewhat knowledgeable, DON'T get a realtor.

Asked by Dstiy63, Delray Beach, FL Thu Apr 3, 2014

I'm a real estate investor and I've had numerous experiences purchasing homes WITHOUT a realtor. I've never been realtor and certainly am not a "know it all" when it comes to real estate transactions. My negotiating skills are just ok. If you go at it alone, you'll get a much better deal because the listing agent will do whatever possible to get that 6% commission. IMO, realtors are useless unless you know nothing about buying a house.

Answers

15
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Fri Apr 4, 2014
Wow!

Everyone take note of this wisdom provided by a self proclaimed expert! The fact of the matter is that everyone is entitled to an opinion.....regardless of whether or not they are factual or based on any level of experience or common sense.

A prime example!

Bob Brubaker, Agent, Lake Worth, FL
Fri Apr 4, 2014
Somehow I missed the Question? Oops- just another
" useless Realtor" ? Thanks for your opinion! Sounds like
you really have it together!

Bob Brubaker Highlight Realty Palm Beach County 561-876-6649
Web Reference:  http://pbc-realcam.com
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Fri Apr 4, 2014
"I'm a real estate investor" (home many sell/purchases in past 12 months? What price point?)
-
'..am not a know it all.." (that is clear)
-
'..just ok negotiator' (you are an investor...right?)
-
'..better deal if you go it alone..' (what is your basis. you are a POOR negotiator, no results, and you paid retail price. That is a better deal?)
-
'...will do whatever possible to get 6% commission..' (laughable....this urban legend lives only in the minds of the uneducated regarding real estate.)
-
'..unless you know nothing about buying a house." One such appears to be in Delray Beach.

From your own words you reveal you NEED A REALTOR.
You have no idea what is taking place.
You think you have beat the system.
You would be wrong.
But that is the magic sauce of 'Bliss."
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Fri Apr 4, 2014
So, the commission will remain the same, it will all just go to the one person who will "do whatever possible" to sell you a house, while you have nobody to help spot and protect you from the "whatever possible" s/he is doing TO YOU. Sounds reasonable...

Or wait...maybe you should spend the same amount of money and have someone who's been around the block a few times on YOUR side to protect you from "whatever possible". Hmmmm, tough call....
Danny Mahoney, Agent, Delray Beach, FL
Thu Apr 3, 2014
This should be interesting
Charles Weiss, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Boca Raton, FL
Tue Apr 8, 2014
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...I've seen my clients follow your advice and I've also seen them choose a buyer's agent, the latter has always ended up happier.
Spencer Gray, Agent, Bonney Lake, WA
Sun Apr 6, 2014
Buying a home is generally the most expensive purchase for an individual. Why chance making an expensive mistake on the most expensive purchase of your life?

I do a lot myself. Used to do my taxes. Friend convinced me to see a CPA, so I did. He got me back the most I ever had and found $1000 on a past return since I didn't know about a write off, refiled and got the money back. A professional is worth their weight in gold!

The National Association of Relator's finds that homeowners who sold for sale by owner grossed 16% less than those who used a Realtor! Subtract commission and your still ahead!

Best of luck!
Samantha Yak…, Agent, Short Hills, NJ
Fri Apr 4, 2014
You are entitled to your opinion.

I'll even agree with you that some realtors are just in it for the money (though an agent taking home 6% from a transaction? Absurd). I've heard things about Florida (I could be mistaken) that the buyer's agent isn't fiduciary to the client, and that may be true. But in NJ, anyway, a buyer's agent is looking out for the buyer (or at least supposed to) and getting the best deal for them.

Why you're so against using a realtor, I don't know. Again, you're entitled to your opinion, but considering that a buyer does not pay the agent, I think the benefits outweigh the cons.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Fri Apr 4, 2014
I have to say many investors who are well experienced will indeed go direct to the listing agent. They are able to negotiate, know area values well and can handle themselves. For the average buyer looking to buy an owner occupied home though, a buyer broker is often the difference between being able to buy their dream home or get their offer rejected to over paying.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Thu Apr 3, 2014
So, let me understand this stellar advice you're offering................

You're not telling consumers NOT to work with an agent - to cut an agent out of the equation..............you're "advising" them to only work with the LISTING agent, so that this listing agent will "do whatever possible" to get that (full) 6% commission?? By doing thsi, they will "get a better deal".

Really??

THAT'S your advice?

Well, all righty now.........................they will have one happy listing agent if they follow your advice.....and if dual agency is legal there!
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Thu Apr 10, 2014
You are a professional investor, have a different set of understanding of the market, and needs for buying the property. You have "numerous experiences purchasing homes"

Most buyers need the expertise of a professional to guide them through the process, inform them immediately on new listings or ones about to come on, help them find an attorney, lender, home inspector, check the building departments records, show them the comparable properties in the market to help determine value

Remember that the sellers agent obligations are to the seller and a buyers agent is to get the best deal for the buyer. That is not to say that going direct you will benefit any less, if you feel comfortable with your understanding of the market and process.
Eric Reichelt, Agent, 34994, FL
Sun Apr 6, 2014
Just cause you know how to fill out a tax return doesn't make you a CPA. You know what they say about opinions.
Tom Priester, Agent, Tequesta, FL
Fri Apr 4, 2014
Dstiy63,

Your post shows that you must be a pretty smart guy. As one who has been involved in the construction and sale of real property for a career that spans decades it would be interesting for me to sit down over a margarita and learn how you have managed to know so much.

For the others out there, you may enjoy a blog we just did about why our passion to raise the quality of service, marketing and value for anyone contemplating a real estate transaction is the real deal. This week we saved another happy client 20% on commission expense while selling their property in less than three weeks for 18% more than anything in the neighborhood. That my friends is what we here at Paradise Sharks Real Estate call value you can sink your teeth into.

http://www.trulia.com/blog/tompriester/2014/04/paradise_shar…

Fins up............

Tom Priester
Principal Broker

Paradise Sharks Real Estate
Direct Line 561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com

http://www.paradisesharks.com
Noah Seidenb…, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri Apr 4, 2014
What profession are you in?
Would you do surgery on yourself without being a doctor?
Defend yourself in court if convicted of a serious crime if not an attorney?
I would be curious to hear more about why you say this?
Gary Hitchco…, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Fri Apr 4, 2014
You are very naive. How much total real estate have you bought or sold ? Until you've done 100M then you haven't experienced all the ways you can be sued. A FSBO buyer always turns into a FSBO seller and that's when 6% mistakes are made.