If you need to file a complaint about a realtor that has been deceiving and corrupt -- where do you go?

Asked by Heather Smith, Centreville, VA Fri Oct 12, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Rawatkusum, Home Buyer, Centreville, VA
Mon Nov 19, 2012
I am having problem with the broker who is coming from yesterday (we shifted) he is not willing to understand that our cheque cannot be cleared in sunday it need to get deposite and takes atleast 2to 3 days to cleare out from Mumbai. But he is not willing to listen and today morning he came and made a big show and against he said he will come in evening. I don't know what to do ?
0 votes
Lori Jeltema, Agent, Suffolk, VA
Mon Oct 15, 2012
Heather, from your recent posts, it looks like you are having issues getting a deposit refunded on a rental. If you are in a dispute, none of us can really give you advice here. It's best to consult with someone who can help you out with landlord/tenant situations.
0 votes
Erik Weissko…, Agent, fairfax, VA
Sat Oct 13, 2012

Unfortunately I disagree with some of my colleagues below. If the agent has in fact been deceiving and corrupt..and you have damages..it's time for an attorney.

The agents Broker or Manager will appreciate your comments however in most cases they will do very little. This is because the manager or broker gets paid each time the agent makes a dollar. In 25 years I know of one agent who got fired and I was the one to personally escort him to the door.

My suspicion is this matter is about security deposit? If so..and the steps I gave you before have not worked..it is time for an attorney.

If the question is one about ethics..you will need to review the link provided by one of the agents below and see which particular ethics violations you suspect. Then take this and file a formal complaint with the Northern VA Assoc. of Realtors. However, this is a committee of peers..so don't expect much here either unless the violations are severe and actual damages did occur.

Your next step...if you don't get what you like would then be to go to the state. Link again provided below. You will need to be specific and provide proof of your damages.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear..but best to shoot straight.

Kind Regards,

Erik J. Weisskopf, ABR,CDPE,CRS,GRI
Re/Max Distinctive Real Estate
0 votes
Erik wrote: " In 25 years I know of one agent who got fired and I was the one to personally escort him to the door. "

This only means that YOU witnessed/fired ONE corrupt agent.
Are you even suggesting that brokers do NOT fire corrupt agents who commit a fraud???

There is a HUGE difference between committing a fraud and not delivering a price the seller wished to sell for because the market changed, or buyer losing time and contract because short sale was not approved etc. Sure, an experienced agent always manages expectations, but not all agents are equal and this was a very hard market.

I'm sorry to say that but this is a very self-serving answer - the answers below already suggested:
1) contact broker
2) contact REALTOR Association
3) contact DPOR
4) contact lawyer
Flag Sat Oct 13, 2012
Faiza Alvi, Agent, Fairfax, VA
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Dear Heather:

It is truly a shame that your Realtor® (if he/she really is one) is deceiving you and is corrupt. You should absolutely file a complain again him/her - since, we Realtor® work hard to help our clients in best way possible, keeping their best interest at heart. Gaining a Realtor® designation is different from being just a Real Estate Agent because we Realtor® are abide by the CODE OF ETHICS and at any cost we should not neglect that.
Go ahead and make a call to your agent's Principle Broker or Managing Broker. And if you are 100% sure that they are corrupt then make a complaint to DPOR - so that he/she doesn't' make deceive other customers / clients.
I would highly recommend changing to another Realtor - if you are sure that you've been deceived and misrepresented...

Hope this information is helpful to you ~ Good Luck!!

Best Regards,
Faiza Alvi - Realtor®
Prince William Realty, Inc.
703-389-7973 (Direct)
703-580-9995 (Fax)

I believe:
Real Estate is about building relationships
& serving clients with honesty, integrity & passion.
0 votes
Robin Short, Agent, Leesburg, VA
Fri Oct 12, 2012
All agents work under a managing Broker. Contact that agents managing Broker, and discuss your problem. These managers will offer assistance and suggestions. From there you can ask what Association the Agent belongs to, and you can file a complaint with the Assoc. of Realtors. This can and will include the state organization that holds that agents license.
0 votes
John Ginty, Agent, Reston, VA
Fri Oct 12, 2012

You've received some great advice below. Be sure to contact the broker first, then follow Thai Hung Nguyen's advice. It's a shame that you had such a negative experience. If you need a Realtor who will work for you in an honest and noble manner, providing you with great service please call me at 703-307-3449. I would love to speak with you to find out how I can help you.

John Ginty
Keller Williams Capital Properties Fairfax
10300 Eaton Place, Suite 120
Fairfax, VA 22030
Cell: 703-307-3449
0 votes
Thai Hung Ng…, Agent, Washington, DC
Fri Oct 12, 2012
I am very sorry to hear that you have an issue with a Realtor. Please do know that not all Realtors were created equal. There are many Realtors are trying to help consumers to restore their confidence in this industry and the housing market. Hope things will be good for you.

If it is Compliance issues, you can file a report on DPOR: http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/Report-Licensee/

If it is Ethic issues, you can file a complaint with the association he/she belongs to (for example, if that person belongs to NVAR, you can file the complaint here: http://nvar.com/arbitration-and-grievance/filing-a-complaint)
0 votes
Ron Rovtar, Agent, Boulder, CO
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Hi Heather:

As Misty mentioned below, it often is best to talk to the agent's broker. If the agent is a Realtor® (not all are), you may be able to file an ethics complaint with the local Realtor's® Association. If all else fails or if you feel the agent's behavior was substantially illegal, you might complain to the Virginia Real Estate Board, which is part of the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation. Easy to find online and there is a tab on the left of the page to report a licensee.

0 votes
Vivianne Rut…, , Fairfax County, VA
Fri Oct 12, 2012
1) You should contact your broker.
2) IF your agent is a REALTOR, you can file a complaint with a local association. REALTOR Associations have a jurisdiction only over real estate agents who are REALTORS.

However, first I would contact your broker to see if indeed the complaint is justified.
0 votes
Misty Mount, Agent, Yorktown, VA
Fri Oct 12, 2012
Their broker would be who you need to talk to.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Centreville Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more