If you are SELLING YOUR PROPERTY, here is a good question to ask a realtor: "How do you, as an agent, ensure a seller getting the highest price?"

Asked by AL McCaw (Local Expert), Las Vegas, NV Fri Jun 21, 2013

Answers

25
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri Jun 21, 2013
The only good questions to ask are the ones that are important for you to have answered.

As RIR writes below, there's a difference between getting the highest offer and actually closing at a satisfactory price.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Fri Jun 21, 2013
We don't do SPAM on Trulia.
Asking and answering your own question is really bad form.
AL McCaw (Lo…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Wed Jun 26, 2013
So far I have only read answers from two agents that addressed my question. The rest of you have wonderful answers that doesn't please the seller. The following are additional statements to my original question:

1. We are talking about a regular equity listing here. No short sales, bank-owned, etc.

2. I want comments from agents on their plans to get me the HIGHEST PRICE and BEST TERMS in the FASTEST POSSIBLE TIME PERIOD.

For all of you in "LALA Land" who believes that sellers don't want the highest price with the best terms in the fastest possible time, then perhaps your duties owed is to the buyer, and not to the seller.
Jimmy Balsano, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Mon Jun 24, 2013
Hi Al McCraw

In the Las Vegas Market right now, an agent has to have the right marketing program to develop
foot traffic and get multiple offers. The agent must advise his client which the best offer & that
usually produces the best net for the seller

If I can be of further assistance and answer
Any of your other questions please contact me

Jimmy Balsano
Realty One Group
702-281-2225
Fax 1-866-371-8421
Email: jimbalsano@gmail.com

I KNOW LAS VEGAS AND HAVE FOR 40 YEARS
http://www.jimmybalsano.com
http://www.salestraq.com/las_vegas/newhomesearch/index.cfm?id=4780(New homes)
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Recently right here on Trula a buyer expressed, "If I had seen that property I would have offered TWICE the price it solf for!"
Is that the highest price. Do you think he would have PAID twice the price after all the haggling was over?
Since the home can only be sold to ONE buyer...that is the highers price.
EVERYTHING else is nonsense.
John Morrison, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Fri Jun 21, 2013
This is really not a very good question. How does a stock broker insure your money is in the best investments to insure your highest return. How does a loan officer insure you are getting the lowest possible rate on a mortgage? What is the best possible price today may not be the best possible price tomorrow. Agents, like stock brokers or loan officers are not fortune tellers, and can't tell what the market is going to do from one day to the next. All you can do is insure that you are getting them the best price possible under the circumstances you are dealing with. I have had many clients that would have been able to sell for a lot better price had they waited a few months to sell their house. Unfortunately, we had no way of knowing that at the time. If a seller is willing to properly prep a house for selling it, and if an agent prices it at the high end of the market, the seller is normally going to end up getting the best price he can for the house at the time it goes under contract.
Allan Erps, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Excellent Ron, enjoyed your comment
AL McCaw (Lo…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Tue Mar 18, 2014
1. To real estate professionals: Please don't self-promote yourself in this thread.

2. My sincere apology to everybody if the topic in question was not worded so well. I understand that none of us have crystal balls or can offer guarantees as to the highest selling price. Again my apology... It's just that in my countless listing presentations, price is always a major factor. For most sellers, not all, they do want to get the highest price and the best terms.

3. My original intention with my topic was more to share ideas with my peers. I'm in Vegas, but if there is an agent in another state who may have a "strategy" in meeting the seller's objectives and goals, it would be an honor to learn from their success.

4. I'm certain that there are actual sellers reading this thread and I'm sure that they too want to know how a realtor can meet all of their selling needs and goals, including getting the highest price. Perhaps the best answers here shall be the realtor that the seller will contact?
AL McCaw (Lo…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Tue Mar 18, 2014

dawn lane, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Thu Jun 27, 2013
Fred ... I salute you ! Keep smiling , your clients are blessed to have your knowledge and experience ! Give us shout if you ever get to Vegas. !
David Cooper, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Thu Jun 27, 2013
"For all of you in "LALA Land" who believes that sellers don't want the highest price with the best terms in the fastest possible time, then perhaps your duties owed is to the buyer, and not to the seller"

I can promise you everything you want, but no one can "ensure" you that's what will happen. Could you have predicted a week ago that mortgage interest rates would pop 1%?. What will that mean to housing prices and demand is unclear,

David Cooper Investing in Las Vegas since 1994
http://www.laswinner.org
702.499.7037
Fred Herman, Agent, Staten Island, NY
Thu Jun 27, 2013
First - I specifically/intentionally did not criticize the creator of the original question.
My post was not condescending, but rather, it was made to deliver my point with a bit of sarcastic humor. What point??? While we can "ensure" our own efforts toward getting our client's home sold, we cannot "ensure" the results achieved; the question implied we could. Sometimes the market seems to ignore our best efforts.

Second - It didn't take much time or energy. I was smiling as I was typing it. While I'm sure no one finds my sarcasm as funny as I do, hopefully at least one person smiled or laughed when they read my post.

good luck

Fred Herman; GREEN, SKEP, CLAIR

PS - I can "ensure" everyone the sun will rise tomorrow.
dawn lane, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Thu Jun 27, 2013
I thought Fred's post was valid . Sometimes people are so busy promoting themselves and what they do that their ego gets in the way of giving the true and honest answer . I appreciate transparency and ability to express oneself . We can't always be painting a rosy happy picture and continue to sugar coat answers to the general public . The only thing condescending is when ego inflated Realtors trample over each other trying to scream the loudest to a fake post on Trulia . Thanks Fred .
Robert Adams, Agent, Henderson, NV
Thu Jun 27, 2013
Fred,
All the time and energy you put into the condescending post you could have use to put a positive and useful answer.
David Cooper, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Wed Jun 26, 2013
The super clean house that looks and smells fresh will go a long way to getting what you want. How the curb appeal. Tell me about the upgrades that makes your house unique. If its just a normal house in a normal neighborhood, you will have lots of inventory to compete against

We can stll find you a good deal
http://www.lasvegaswinner.org
702.499.7037
Robert Adams, Agent, Henderson, NV
Wed Jun 26, 2013
A proper marketing plan should be used by the listing agent. Our team has a marketing team that makes sure your property gets the maximum exposure in addition to the exposure it receives on the MLS. We discuss the various ways we market the property during our listing appointments.

Robert Adams
Broker/Salesman
The Adams Team at
Rothwell Gornt Companies
C:702-349-9175
O:702-932-8813
F:702-932-8826
RobertAdams@LVrealestateHELP.com
http://www.LVrealestateHELP.com
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Strategies vary depending on the market. There is a strong market out there. So, naturally sellers want to price aggressively. That's not a bad strategy, if the seller doesn't mind not making a quick sale. The added exposure may ensure a higher price.

One of the consistent strategies I employ is using social media marketing. MLS is still the best network of agents. However, the vast majority of people begin shopping by researching online.
dawn lane, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Getting the highest price isn't always the "best " offer . For instance , if the buyer is financing and the buyers agent writes an offer at the highest price , the seller has risk that the property won't appraise at the highest price . The bank won't finance for more than the appraised price , most buyers don't have the means to pay the difference . The agent should advise the seller that the highest price doesnt necessarily yield the seller the highest net . Knowing what the seller wants to accomplish is important .
Again , I don't quite understand why real estate agents are asking these questions on a consumer website . And if you ate a real estate pro you should know that by asking these questions on a consumer site to try to gain exposure because you don't want to pay 28,000 dollars to advertise on Trulia Isn't going to bring you business . Hope this answer helps you .
Becky Zisk, Agent, Henderson, NV
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Noone has a crystal ball. That being said, if you as the agent, has established a sound rapport with the sellers and the home is "Show ready" when put on the market, it will definitely bring a high price. Selling a home is a "Group" effort, not just the realtor's. Becky
Phil Scheinm…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Fri Jun 21, 2013
In todays market in Las Vegas the seller is blessed to have limited competition and a plethora of buyers. This will naturally lead to multiple offers and higher prices but it is important to have an educated agent that is prepared to tackle the appraisal issue that may arise when you sell for over-market prices.

Seasoned agents will allow the sellers to make more money. Choose wisely.

Search http://www.Las-Vegas-Real-Estate-Home.com

Phil Scheinman, ABR, GRI, E-PRO
Broker * Sales Agent * Realtor
Realty One
2831 St. Rose ParkwaySte. 100
Las Vegas, NV 89074
Direct: 702-580-9198
Fax: 702-614-9337
E-mail:smokey25@cox.net

http://www.philScheinman.com
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Fri Jun 21, 2013
EVERYTHING else is nonsense.
Dawn Houlf, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Is the highest price always the answer? It may also been terms and conditions. What is important to one seller may not be the same for the other seller. If the property is a traditional sale highest price will most likely yield more profit. With short sales highest price may not be what the seller is wanting.

As a seller you definitely want a agent that is well versed in the type of transaction that you will be doing.

Should you want to discuss this further please contact me 702-236-6266
Steven Goldm…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Great thought provoking question that moves a Seller in the wrong direction. It is not the highest price that matters.
WHAT !!!!! He said WHAT !!!.

I think what mattes to a Seller is the best deal and NET $$$. Many times a lower priced offer is the better way to go with a transaction. In addition, the probability of closing is also an issue with many Sellers.
Sellers want to close the transaction. If you do not close the transaction, an offer price means nothing.

Comparing one offer to another is the job of a seasoned Realtor that has experience in mass closings as well as transactions that did not close. There are warning signs that a transaction will not close no matter how much the offer is. Seasoned agents with lots of transactions have a much better ability to see the warning signs in how an offer is written.

A Seller should ask their agent the following question:
What do you see in this offer that will cause the transaction to not close on time? What can you do to prevent these issues?
Even a seasoned agent cannot remove all of the issues, but a seasoned agent may be able to mitigate the issues before they become too large to make go away.

No problem is a problem, until it becomes a problem.

New agents without this 6th sense are able to be great agents if they are mentored and closely watched by a supervisor looking at the transaction. Every agent needs to be looked at by another seasoned agent not involved. Great Brokers make this happen.
An agent making the deal can be so involved that the warning signs are ignored. Great agents get excited about every transaction and want to close the deal. This is all good.

Warning signs are just that. Warning Signs. Once we see them, they can be mitigated early. In my classes, I teach the warning signs of a transaction going bad. By the time a cancellation comes in, it takes a lot of effort to save or it becomes to late to save. The majority of failed transactions happen as the contracts are being signed. Looking back at the contracts, it can been seen that there were weak points that were not considered when the Seller accepted the offer. Great agents point out the short comings of an offer and let the Seller decide if they want to continue with the Buyer.

BTW: Some transactions do fail just because. Bad stuff does happen in the life of a transaction beyond the control of the principals. In those cases, the data becomes a learning tool and we go to the next Buyer.

Have a great weekend and upcoming holiday weekend.

Please contact me immediately if you know a person that cannot make their mortgage payments. I will work with them to avoid foreclosure or bankruptcy at no charge or fees to them.

The Brodkin Group
Steven Goldman, CRS
Broker Salesman
Certified Distressed Property Expert (CDPE)
Certified Default Advocate (CDAT)
Certified Short Sale Professional (CSP)
Certified Probate Real Estate Specialist (CPRES)
REO-BPO Certified
GRI, ABR, SRES, CNHS, PM, CCI
Realty One Group
10750 W. Charleston #180
Las Vegas, NV 89135
Direct 702-242-1372
Fax: 866-286-2099
E-Mail: crssteven@teamgoldman.info
http://www.teamgoldman.info
LYN Houben, Agent, LAS VEGAS, NV
Fri Jun 21, 2013
Besides being a Realtor/Broker Salesman for over 40 years, I also am a ASP, ACCREDITED STAGING PROFESSIONAL.

It has been proven over and over again, that a "Staged Home" will sell faster and for much more money then a home not staged. As a professional Realtor and Stager, I can offer 2 wonderful assests in one!

Home Staging by Lyn
Las Vegas, NV
AL McCaw (Lo…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Fri Jun 21, 2013
All real estate agents and brokers: Feel free to throw in your best answer.