Holger Hedder, Home Buyer in G.L. Lowery Industrial...

If the agent I hire to sell my house uses a picture of a cat drinking from the toilet as the 1st slideshow image, how quickly can I let that agent go?

Asked by Holger Hedder, G.L. Lowery Industrial Park, Groveport, OH Thu May 9, 2013

I was looking for a home in Tarrytown and came across a new listing, and for some reason that question just popped into my head. Thanks.

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3117762183-37-Terrace-Ave-Tar…

Answers

12
Phyllis Lern…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Fri May 10, 2013
I have spoken with the agent from our office and the owner was totally on board and felt it would
get people talking, which it did. That's what marketing is all about. Was not meant to offend anyone.
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Thu May 9, 2013
To clarify, I spoke with my colleague today and the seller actually insisted she use the photo...amazing.

Chris
If the seller not only knows about it, but insisted on using the photo... then that settles it. The seller gets to make the decision.
Flag Thu May 9, 2013
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Thu May 9, 2013
Unless the agent discussed this with you in advance (ie: I gonna use this silly picture to catch attention as shock value... they sure won't forget your listing)... and you agreed to it... then it shouldn't be used. It's silly and unprofessional.. even if it were the last picture in the spread, instead of the first picture.

I'm not sure it warrants "firing the agent"... but I would sure make a phone call to my agent and say "please remove that photo immediately". If they refuse to remove it, then you can consider other measures.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Thu May 9, 2013
I LOVE IT, it catches ones attention and even made me laugh, but not with the agent, at the agent for being inappropriate. I would help this marketing tactic does not catch on and if you were the home owner let them know that. I think you would have good grounds for a release if you did not know this picture was used.
Joseph Roraff, Agent, Onalaska, WI
Thu May 9, 2013
Sure that is inappropriate but I can't imagine the agent did it without the sellers approval. If you want to cancel a contract with an agent you would need to cancel the contract or the agent would have to be in breach of contract and you would have to prove it. Be sure to understand everything that you sign.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu May 9, 2013
As to how quickly to let the agent go, that will depend on the listing agreement; you may also want to ask that the picture be removed....
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Thu May 9, 2013
That agent can go as as soon as the cat is finished with the toilet.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Thu May 9, 2013
Funny....YES!

Appropriate....Absolutely not!

Most locations prefer the first photo of a listing to be the front of the home as it makes a clear initial impression and provides customers with an image to look for when driving to the home.

Agents are always looking for ways to capture the buyer's attention and get them to read on and possible consider the property's merits. This one....well, it may have crossed the line.

Good post...

Maria Gilda…, Agent, Manchester, CT
Thu May 9, 2013
Although the picture of the cat caught in a very unattractive situation would make others sigh and say "What is the agent thinking", it may not be a sufficient reason to fire the listing agent immediately.

Communication is the best first resolution. And if incompetent and inefficient move or action is committed again, then a serious discussion with the broker is warranted.

Best of Luck
Catherine Ma…, Agent, Yorktown Heights, NY
Thu May 9, 2013
If the reason for the picture was to get attention to the property....it sure did work!

-Cathy
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Thu May 9, 2013
Hi, that agent is from my office. The picture is cute but I don't think it should have been the main focus, better at the end. I'm sure she got the seller's approval as well. She would never do something like that without approval first. In fact she is a fantastic agent. Some people have more of a sense of humor then others I guess.

Christopher Pagli
Accredited Buyer Representative
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
914 406 9023
Suzanne MacD…, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Thu May 9, 2013
If that happens someone needs to call the agent and talk to them. If that doesn't get results, talk to the broker. When a listing agreement is signed, it has a start date and a stop date. During that time you could be stuck with the agent unless you can show they somehow breached the contract or you can convince them to just cancel the contract. All of which just points to how very important it is to choose the right agent in the first place.