If i buy a new house for 230,000 in Broward County, and want to take advantage of the portability act, how do

Asked by Homebuying, 11561 Sat Jul 18, 2009

I go about doing this? my current home (in palm beach county) will be rented. My current house assessed value is 89,234, and the market value is $173,091.
I want to carry the portability to the new house, but don't want to pay high taxes on the current one (which I hope to sell soon). Please help!

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Mark LeMenager’s answer
Mark LeMenag…, Agent, Lake Nona Orlando, FL
Sun Jul 19, 2009
Follow Bill's advice and check out the website he refers to. You also want to contact your local county property appraiser's office for information and forms. (For Broward County it's http://www.bcpa.net)

You can only claim a homestead one one property and it's effective January 1st of each year. I doubt there is any way you can keep your current property and not pay higher taxes on it next year. Consult a real estate attorney, if you want to explore this further.
0 votes
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Jul 19, 2009

Try checking out the following web information:


Good luck
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Deerfield Beach Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more