Home Buying in 08065>Question Details

Antbug2001, Home Buyer in 08065

If buyer is required to get all inspections and certifications, what does that involve?

Asked by Antbug2001, 08065 Wed May 25, 2011

What are the certificaitons?

Help the community by answering this question:


Not sure what you mean by "certifications". As a buyer's agent, I have my buyers get a home inspected by a professional home inspector. This is for the buyer's own piece of mind and isn't required. This can cost anywhere from $250-$500. (or more if you want additional things inspected or tested -- radon, well, sewer, etc.) They will identify any issues with the house, then you decide which issues you want the seller to fix (or reduce the purchase price). If the property is a short sale or bank owned they will likely not fix anything.

If you're getting an FHA loan, your lender will require an FHA appraisal -- which involves a very basic inspection to make sure there are no major issues with the house -- i.e. plumbing & electric issues, roof is in decent shape, etc. If they find major issues, they likely will not approve the loan.

Other than that, I can't think of any "certifications" that you need. It's not like new construction or remodeling projects where you need a Certificate of Occupancy from the county.

Make sure you have a good Realtor working for you as a Buyer's Agent. He/she will be able to guide you through the whole process. Good luck!
Web Reference: http://www.sallygrenier.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 25, 2011
Many different things can come up.... that's why you need an experienced agent to guide you thru it. Here's an off the cuff list of things that might come up.....
Well/water test, septic cert, termite cert, certificate of occupany, smoke detector -carbon monoxide detector- fire extinguisher cert, radon test, lender may require utilities to be On.... so gas, electric and water companies may need to be called and given access to the property and past due balances cleared up.

Each item and each township and each lender has thier own nuances regarding these.

Hope that helps,

Joe Montenigro REMAX Home Team
Broker, GRI (856)374-2800 x106
Serving Gloucester Twp, Washington Twp & South Jersey Real Estate Markets
Read me: http://hometeamNJ.com/blog
Watch me: http://hometeamnj.com/search/virtual-tours
Like me: http://www.facebook.com/JoeMontenigroREMAX
Search for Homes: http://hometeamNJ.com/search

Note- Email me directly for follow up questions or answers, I don't monitor this forum for replies.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 25, 2011
In New Jersey if your contract says 'buyer responsible for all inspections and certifications' it means, all inspections regarding a certificate of occupany, and other certifications and inspections your lender might require. That could be well testing, septic system certs etc.

It also implies that your home inspection is for informational purposes only.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 25, 2011

This usually means the property is being sold "as is". You are responsible for any and all repairs from inspections, anything your lender requires and also the Certificate of Occupancy Inspection & Repairs from the Township.
The Seller is not paying for any repairs or certifications.

Good Luck to you!
Gina Fagnani
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 25, 2011
Septic? Occupancy Permit? I guess this would depend on where you are located & what your local regulations are, what type of property you are buying (commercial, condominium, new construction).
The Marie Souza Team - Top Selling on Cape Cod
Cape Cod Real Estate Services
Phone: 508-790-2000
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 25, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer