If an engineers report shows there is asbestos in the property. Does the seller have to fix this before the buyers sign the contract by law?

Asked by New Homebuyer, Nassau County, NY Mon Apr 22, 2013

Answers

3
Gail Gladsto…, Agent, 11743, NY
Mon Apr 22, 2013
I believe it is the seller's legal obligation to remove any environmental conditions.

Sign the contract but make sure your attorney makes it a contingency in the contract.
Terry Koraha…, , 11358
Mon Apr 22, 2013
Hi new buyer, if the property is being sold in "As Is" condition, depending on the condition of it -you need to figure the cost of encapsulation or removal into what will be your expense. An approx $12.00 a linear foot for removal- almost the same price as encapsulation. Another option is to negotiate with the seller -unless it is in friable(fraying ) condition- the seller is really not obligated to remove. That has been my experience with past sales and reputable environmental experts. Terry K 718-614-3167 TKorahais@elliman.com
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Mon Apr 22, 2013
Depends, is the asbestos exposed/fraying, etc.; for asbestos information see link http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/453.html