If all you have is $400,000 where would you buy in San Francisco?

Asked by Katie, San Francisco, CA Thu Dec 26, 2013

Answers

7
Greg Bryan J…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Mon Dec 30, 2013
Katie:

As everyone has stated $400,000 is not much in San Francisco and will not get you much. For the East Bay I would consider Oakland, or Alameda. Berkeley is probably a little expensive. I would also consider Daly City and South San Francisco.

Best of luck.

Greg
GB and Associates
Cell (415) 640-4341
Fax (415) 946-3467
gregorybryan@gbandas.com
DRE#01797646
Web Reference:  http://www.gbandas.com
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Fri Dec 27, 2013
Katie,

If you only have $400K you are either looking at a studio or bad neighborhoods. I would either save up for a higher price point or look outside the city. The east bay is probably your best bet. If you are interested in exploring that area we have an associate who lives and works there, or we can run you a list of available properties in the city as well.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
King Realty Group

lance@king-realtygroup.com
415.722.5549
BRE# 01384425
Eric Castong…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sun Dec 29, 2013
Hi Katie
The best route to take is find a local real estate professional to help you figure out what you are looking for property and neighborhood wise. There are properties in the $400,000 range, but not many. If you want a something a bit larger, there are other options points south, such as Daly City, South San Francisco, San Bruno and Pacifica. The nice thing about the Peninsula is that you don't have a bridge to contend with to get into the city.

As long as you are flexible, there are options.

All the Best.

Eric Castongia
Zephyr Real Estate
BRE No. 01188380
Web Reference:  http://SFHotBuy.com
Ali Qureshi, Agent, Pleasanton, CA
Sat Dec 28, 2013
You can possibly get a decent studio or a 1bed condo in SF. Are you only considering SF? You may have more options in this range if you consider living within 30 mile radius outside the city.
, ,
Fri Dec 27, 2013
400K is very low for SF. Maybe look at surrounding areas or even take a look at how much you can actually afford in a home.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer
http://www.TheMortgageOutlet.com

408-352-5147
AGreer@TheMortgageOutlet.com
Bellings Bro…, , San Francisco, CA
Fri Dec 27, 2013
Katie,

Do you have a loan approval for $400,000, or have that amount to put as a down payment? Either way, $400,000 is a lot of money, so congratulations on saving the amount that you did! San Francisco is a very competitive market, and also very expensive. However, there are definitely studio's, some 1 bedrooms, and even some fixer-upper single family homes out there in your price range. It all depends on the locations and what exactly your needs are in a new home.

I'd love to hear a little more about you and what exactly you're looking for in a next home, and I would be happy to send any potential options your way! I also have a MLS search engine I would be more than happy to give you access to so you can do some searching on your own if you prefer. Either way, please let me know if I can be of service in any way, and I would be more than happy to help! Hope you had a wonderful holiday season thus far, and I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best and good luck with your search!

Aaron Bellings
Realtor, Vanguard Properties
Aaron@vanguardsf.com
BRE #01915431
(415) 601-3000
Robert Spino…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Mill Valley, CA
Fri Dec 27, 2013
Katie,

If you need some help with determining your borrowing power, I'm local to SF and happy to help with a pre-approval. Even here in Marin, there are properties you can purchase for $400K, but whether or not they fit your criteria, I cannot be sure at this time. I don't think your price point is an outright limiter, though. There are things out there in that range.

I've included a link below to a free homebuyer webinar that I conduct monthly. It takes 15 minutes and the next one is on January 7.

Rob Spinosa
rspinosa@rpm-mtg.com