If a property is listed with a certain agent & agency, am I obligated to work with that agent & agency or may I work with some one else?

Asked by Gary, Paradise Valley, AZ Fri May 7, 2010

Answers

14
Paul Welden, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Fri May 7, 2010
Hi Gary,

You are not obligated to work with the listing agent or his/her agency only because they listed the property. You are allowed and permited to utilize the services of any agent that you want. As a potential home buyer, you are encouraged to seek the services of a Buyer's Agent, preferably one that is full-time, experienced and exclusively only represents home buyers, to avoid as much conflict of interest as possible.

------
PAUL WELDEN PLLC
HomeSmart
Exclusive Buyer's Agent
Web Reference:  http://CheapPhoenixHomes.com
Carmen Brode…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Wed May 25, 2011
I agree with Jay. You should pick a buyers agent that works for a different company to avoid dual representation. You want an agent that is solely working for you and your best interests!
Joanne Peitz, Agent, Butler, PA
Tue Oct 26, 2010
No obligation to work with that agent or agency. Trust, professional, experience, knowledge is what you should be looking for in an agent.
Tammy Hayes, Agent, Port Charlotte, FL
Tue Oct 26, 2010
How to find the right real estate agent when buying a home
When you want to begin looking for a home, you will need to find a Realtor. First you should ask friends, relatives, or co-workers for a recommendation. Have them describe their experience with the agent and ask why they are recommending that person. You want to choose someone that you feel comfortable in working with.

It is not as important to find a Realtor who has sold the most homes, has the most experience or works for the largest and most well-known company as it is to find someone that is professional. You want an agent that will listen to you, uses ethical conduct, and knows the market.

You can also attend open houses and meet real estate agents. See how they interact with you and answer your questions. Pay attention to how they show the home. Take notes and collect business cards. Then you can compare the agents you saw.

Look at web sites of Realtors or real estate agents. Read any testimonials they have. Call them up and ask questions about their experience and how they work with buyers. Get a feel for them and what they can do for you.

You also want an agent that will work within your schedule. Most of the time it needs to be someone who works as an agent full-time. They are available days, nights, and weekends. Not all agents work the same way. Find one that you are comfortable with. Trust your instincts.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor, Sandals Realty, Punta Gorda, FL tammyhayesre@gmail.com
Jason Whaley, Agent, Mesa, AZ
Mon Oct 25, 2010
Gary, you definitely wan tto have an agent that will represent your needs only. You should google or wiki Dual Agency and read more about it. I would certainly reccomend hiring your own agent especially since it doesn't cost you anything.
Web Reference:  http://www.SearchAZmls.com
Caroline York, Agent, St Petersburg, FL
Sun Aug 8, 2010
You have no obligation with any realtor or agency. You can select your own realtor and I recommend that you do so with care. Some people think we only open doors and show houses. But when you really need us is after you find the property and are working with the negotiation of the contract. Be sure your realtor does a Comparative Market Analysis so you know your offer is based on the market value of the house. Also look at the legals and make sure you are buying from the actual owner. Not sure why I mentioned that but it may be important. Don't let anyone bully you into thinking that you have to work with them. Shop for a mortgage. There are a lot of packages out there today for homeowners. Good luck. and Be careful about the deed. Not sure why I said that either.
Laura Myers…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Sun Aug 8, 2010
Gary~
You are not obligated, in fact the choice is yours! You should fully understand the way Dual Agency works if you decide to work with the same agency/agent as some actually do prefer this but you and they need to know that it is a limited representation.
Work with who you feel will represent you in meeting the goal you have. Your Realtor should make you feel secure that they are your partner for success. Great question!
All my best
Laura Myers
Select Realty Group
Keller Williams Arizona Realty
480-600-6213
Jeffrey Masi…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Fri May 7, 2010
Dear Gary:
It is better for you to select an agent that will be representing you and will look out for your best interest. The listing agent is representing the seller. The buyer's agent represents the buyer.

By the way, the Arizona Department of Realt Estate puts out a "Buyer's Advisory" that addresses this question and many other's for the buyer. Feel free to view this on the ADRE website or my website in the 'Buyers' page.

May I wish you the best in your home search.

Regards, Jeff

Jeff Masich, Realtor
Arizona Homes and Land
HomeSmart Reatly
Scottsdale

JeffMasich@ArizonaHomesLand.com
http://ArizonaHomesLand.com
Kenneth Barg…, Home Buyer, Nashville, TN
Fri May 7, 2010
Gary, It is recommended that you work with your own agent or Realtor to protect your interests during the real estate process. Any shared agency responsibility such as dual agency may become suspect during the transaction. There are numerous professionals to choose from no matter your location. I would suggest begin asking friends and family for recommendations - referrals based on reputation will go far and serve you well. I wish you the best as you search for your new home. All the best - Kenneth
Sandra Paulow, Agent, Pinetop, AZ
Fri May 7, 2010
Gary, You do not have to work with any particular agent unless you have signed a Buyer Broker Agreement with that agent. If you haven't signed anything agreeing to work with a certain agent you can work with any agent you choose.

You should find your own Buyer's Agent to help you with a purchase. Just find one agent you are comfortable with and like and work with them exclusively. Even if you see a property listed by another company or agent, call your representative to show it to you. That way you have someone who is working for you and can work on your behalf.
Lucinda Tkach, , Phoenix, AZ
Fri May 7, 2010
Gary,

You may work with the agent of your preference!

I would suggest interviewing a select few and then making a selection!

This would be a buyers agent! You would be better represented with your own agent!

If you would like any further guidance feel free to contact me direct!

Lucinda Tkach
Lucindat@ongrealtyc.om
602-799-6846
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri May 7, 2010
Keep in mind that the listing agent works for the seller--therefore, if you want the services of your own agent are you free to do so--choose your agent with care.
Temporarily…, , Tempe, AZ
Fri May 7, 2010
You are not obligated to work with the listing agent/agency. I encourage you to get your own agent to represent your interests.
Michael Russ…, , 75006
Fri May 7, 2010
There are buyers agents, selers agents and buyers who work with both the buyer and seller. Gary, one option is to interview a buyers agent or two and see if they ask quality questions , have skills to help you and care about your outcome..