If a home inspection is not done and you buy the home and you find some electrical saftey problems that a

Asked by Lucy A. Rafter, 19145 Tue Apr 15, 2008

inspector would not of seen who can you contact.
South Philadelphia Pa. 19145

Answers

3
Louise Marzu…, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Wed Apr 16, 2008
Your local electrician..,....If you did not do a home inspection and after the fact you find this problem...you should cross reference you sellers disclosure to see if it was noted on the sheet ...you may then contact the seller if it were an existing problem or sellers realtor but if you waived the inspection ...it is on you.....Louise Marzulli
Lucy A. Raft…, Home Buyer, 19145
Tue Apr 15, 2008
Ms Rooselvelt,
Thank you for answering one of my questions...There are many trust me.....My daughter is the one that bought the house in South Philly..She did not get an inspector because of money issues.....She bought that home for 146,000...I went on-line and pulled up other homes on her block I can't believe what she has paid..I am sick over it....From the day she started renovating the kitchen the pipes going to sink were rotting...the next was the central air system which when my daughter wanted to turn it on he said she would not know if it would work till the summer because it was cold outside...Well summer came and went and it needs a whole new unit...money she did not have...the upstairs bathroom was leaking and has leaked down into the diner room which has a the dropped ceiling tiles part of the ceiling has fallen...She has begun to try and redo the bathroom upstair....Once the tiles were taken down it looked a mess but she thought it would be done a month ago ....But once the 200 pound bathtub was taken out and the floor and the workers proceeded to try and remove the flooring they found out that is was all cement which would of been fine if I guess there was a mesh layed first and then the cement..By the cement being all around the piping it rotten the pipes from the lye in the cement....The beams in the bathroom wall when you touch it appear to be dry rotting from moisture...The workers are now afraid to put the new bathtub, sink in because of all this..Afraid that the tub will fall through....Last week in the middle of the night the ceiling above the diningroom where the bathroom is fell...The man above must of been watching I have 3 grandchildren that live in this home that were asleep ...But last but not least is as the workers were tearing the bathroom apart they had to go into one of the bedrooms which also has dropped ceiling tiles and what do you think they found but wires and cables an it looks like extension cords hooked up all in the ceiling hanging.
I am so upset that I had to be stopped because I was going to go right around to that real estate agent and then get the owners name.....I must do something...I have not yet read all her papers....She is not a dumb girl by all means she just wanted her own home as a single parent and just something a little better ...I have been told that there is not to much she can do since there was no inspector...I even believe the mortgage company has done something fraudulent....Have have spent hours in the last week in a half on -line looking for information to help her in some way.
I am sorry if I am rambling but I am upset...You being a agent may not be able to give me any advice but maybe you can direct me....They have been bathing at my home every night for the last month.
Thank you for reading only part of her problem.

Lucy Ann Rafter. .
Chris & Step…, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Tue Apr 15, 2008
Lucy,

Have you already purchased the home ? If not, I would always recommend to get a home inspection. Most good inspectors are not going to miss any electrical issues - especially saftey issues. Not to mention the inspector would look at all the other systems in the house - roof, plumbing, heating/central air, electrical, interior, exterior... etc.

However, if you already purchased the property then what was the reason you did not do a home inspection ? Was it being sold as-is ? Do you get a deal accepted with a lower price ? As the other pro stated, the next step would be to review the disclosure. However, if the seller knew nothing about the electric, then it would be tough to prove that they did not disclose something that they were not aware of.

Was their a warranty included on a deal ? If so, you can contact the warranty company. The best bet would for now to get an electrician over to rectify the problem and if you have a case, get your buyers agent involved to help negotiate something for you based on the original terms of your deal.

For other helpful hints, visit our website below:
Web Reference:  http://www.thesomersteam.com