Home Buying in Philadelphia>Question Details

Malita215, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

If I purchase a owner occupied home, what is the process of taking over the utilities for the house? Any fees associated with it?

Asked by Malita215, Philadelphia, PA Wed Apr 10, 2013

In Minnesota, both the buyer and the seller call the utility companies and have everything transferred as of the day of possession (usually that is the same day as the closing)
I only have two questions 1) where is the house and 2) Do you live there now. And please only take the advice of professionals that are in the area of the house. if in the Philadelphia, PA area then give me a call 215-725-5700 X49

Philip J. Cunningham Sr
V.I.P. Realty Corporation
7942 Bustleton Ave
Philadelphia, Pa19152
(O) 215-725-5700 X49
(C) 267-934-1971
Web Reference: http://www.GreatPaRE.com
The house is in Darby, PA. I do not live there now. I'm in the offer process.
Flag Thu Apr 11, 2013
Some prepaid utilities are pro rated at the closing as mentioned by Peter McNicholas. Other utilities' fees kick in once you have them activated under your name.

Check the local service providers to know more about their activation policy,
Water and gas meters should be read during the final walk through just before settlement. Buyer agent should give readings to title clerk to adjust credits from seller to buyer. You should call PECO and PGW a day or so prior to settlement to give them your information and the address you are purchasing. Water is adjusted after settlement, you will receive the water bill in the sellers name for a couple of months but it is your bill because you were credited an adjustment on the HUD sheet at settlement. If you never had an account with the utilities they may hold a deposit from you which will be credited to your account after one year of on time payments.
Yes, of course. You will be responsible for getting all utilities turned on in your name. And each service company is going to charge an "activation" or "turn on" fee. Also be prepared to pay a deposit, especially if you havent had service with them before.

I have seen fees vary from $25-100 and deposits from $25-250. Some of the utilities may include water, electric, gas/propane, cable, internet, ect.

Good luck and congratulations.

Cassandra Bickel, REALTOR