Kenco, Both Buyer and Seller in Sarasota, FL

If I low ball a fixer upper with the listing agent of that property and the offer is refused do I have any obligations with that agent on future

Asked by Kenco, Sarasota, FL Sun Apr 18, 2010

properties I may want to buy?

Answers

4
Patrick Thies, Agent, Anytown, IL
Sun Apr 18, 2010
Not unless you signed some kind of buyers agreement to work with that agent. Otherwise you are free to use any agent you wish.

I would suggest that you find an agent that you are comfortable working with and work with that agent. You want someone working in your best interest.
Steve Rider, Agent, Sarasota, FL
Tue Apr 20, 2010
You are not obligated to the Listing Agent who represents the Seller. It sounds to me like you are an Investor or want to be investor. I work with several investors in Sarasota who typically offer less than list price. When I say "work with" I mean provide information, schedule showings and prepare contracts to be submitted to the Listing Agent for the Seller's approval. I much prefer "low ball" offers to "tire kickers" who are afraid to make ANY Offer. I don't use a Buyer's Agent agreement. If I can help you buy I get paid. If I can't help... we part as friends! Good luck with those offers.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Sun Apr 18, 2010
Of course not. Not unless you signed some sort of agreement for that agent to represent you as the buyer. But then your relationship to that agent is as a buyer's agent.

But if it's just a listing agent, you have no further obligations to work with that agent on any property at any point in the future.

And Debbie's point in good: There's no advantage, as a buyer, in dealing directly with a listing agent. The commission paid by the seller will be the same. And the agent will still be representing the seller, not you.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Apr 18, 2010
HI Kenco
I am just curious if you are working with the listing agent and your "low ball offer" in the hope that you will have some kind of an "inside track" on the property??

If so......you might want to rethink your strategy.

I agree with Patrick - find an agent you feel comfortable with, and work with him or her on finding a home. They, in turn, will be working for you and developing a rapport which will help you more in the long run then moving from listing agent to listing agent.

Good luck with your offer and future home search!