Home Buying in Salem>Question Details

Ruby Johns, Home Buyer in Silverton, OR

If I have my house listed with an agent, is there any law preventing me from holding my own open house?

Asked by Ruby Johns, Silverton, OR Sun Oct 27, 2013

Answers

8
If I'm your Listing Agent, my first advice to you would be security!!, how are you going to qualify who comes into your home and also, record keeping?

RE Agents are far more experienced when it comes to open houses, they know what to look for before they let anybody roam into your home.
Let them do their job, home seller's best they can do is ask for activity report.
there is no law that will penalize for doing the open house as long as you don't answer questions that will compromise the contract, and you still have to pay the full commission agreed under the listing contract, you need to speak with your listing agent and make sure he/she is comfortable with you doing the open house and to make sure he/she is available for questions from people showing to the open house, all you can do is allow people into the property, hand out flyers and nothing else to make sure you don't provide legal advice that is the job of your agent who is getting paid for that
I would say it is best to confirm this question with legal council. Many MLS Districts have their own regulations that would not be a law but may penalize your listing agent.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 27, 2013
No law like that, but usually the contracts are written in such a way that your still going to have to pay your agent regardless of who finds the buyer.
I know of no such law under Oregon law. What does your listing contract say? The purpose of Open House is to exposure your home to prospective buyers and those who are interested who may know of prospective buyers.

It is an opportunity for agents to connect with prospective buyers and sellers as well.
KD
Heavens no! The agent might even like that. You know that open homes RARELY sell the house. Agents love them because they pick up buyers to show others homes. Its not a good chance that one would just walk into an open home and love it. Remember that real estate agents will line up homes to see that fit descriptions given up front by the potential buyer. Just running around to open homes is a lottery for a buyer unless they read an ad that really details the property.
Talk to your agent about what handouts should be given, how to stage the house, you know, even the good old fashioned 'bake gingerbread cookies' thing for that tasty home smell, lol
I doubt even california would have a law like that written.