If I go to a real estate agent to BUY a house, do I pay them for that?

Asked by Brandi, Cartersville, GA Sun Feb 24, 2008

Answers

5
Andrea Steele, , Marietta, GA
Sat Mar 22, 2008
Brandi,
You are not responsible for the expenses of buying a home. The seller is responsible to pay the commission for the selling agent as well as the listing agent. You basically contact an agent so that they can provide real estate expertise and help you find a home to fit your needs. In the state of Georgia there is a Brokerage Agreement that an agent will ask you to sign if you work with them. I like to get the agreement signed after the client has worked me a time or two so that I can make sure my clients are comfortable. This is really an agreement to protect the agent and pretty much states that you are working with them and no one else. If you have any more questions or looking for a Realtor to work with I would be more than happy to help you. You can email me at: andreasteele@jennypruitt.com and you can look at my website at: http://www.andreasteele.jennypruitt.com
Donna McClure, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Mon Feb 25, 2008
Good morning Brandi,
You are not responsible for paying the commision. The seller has a contract with the listing agent and the seller agrees to pay both agents.
Kimberly Lun…, Agent, Inlet Beach, FL
Sun Feb 24, 2008
The answer is No. The seller incurs the expense of the sale. Some would like you to believe that the commission is added to the price to cover, thus the buyer foots the bill. This is not the case. The facts are that the house must appraise for the purchase price. Lenders will not loan more on the house than the appraisal, so adding commission on the top is not possible.
Sellers know the value of hiring a professional to market, and then represent the sale of the property. And they are willing to pay for this service.
Mikem, , 01803
Sun Feb 24, 2008
Depends on your contract. usually, listing agent will offer a commission to buyer's agent. So, technically you don't pay for it, but it is rolled into the price of a house. Some people look at it as not paying for it, some look at it as paying (all the money comes from the buyer after all.)
Joshua Jarvis, Agent, Duluth, GA
Sun Feb 24, 2008
Nope! The seller pays the commission in 99% of the transactions in Georgia. It's very rare for the buyer to have to come out of pocket for an agent.

Now, another question is whether you are getting the best agent for the job and how that relates to your bottom line. That's a discussion for another day.

You buyer's agent should discuss this in detail with you. You are LIABLE to pay them, but in most cases will not have to.