If I found the property and took my agent to it can I fire the agent even though I have an accepted VERBAL offer

Asked by Ds, Whitestone, NY Sun Nov 22, 2009

Answers

13
Joseph Hasti…, Agent, Bayside, NY
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Hi Ds. This for me, goes to the concept of working together. If I'm working with a buyer and we've signed an agency agreeement form, I would expect them to bring a property to my attention even if they found it themself. I can look up info that they can't hence an added value for using a licensed professional.

We do that all the time. Constantly sending options via e-mail based on previously discussed criteria. You don't mention anything else here. How many leads did theagent bring to you. How many of those properties did you view?

I'll be the first to admit newer agents may need more seasoning and I would never allow a verbal offer which goes to experience. Still, there is much we don't know about your experience. everyone starts somewhere.
Mariam`, Home Buyer, Springfield Gardens, Queens, NY
Thu Feb 11, 2010
Well I'm a buyer like you. And I understand your complaints. But based on your additional comment below, it seems your agent is actually trying to work in your favor. I have had a couple agents who just do not follow-up with me. No calls. In today's real estate market, I have learnt that time is of the essence.

The term "Stalking" sounds to me like your agent is trying to avoid this deal from slipping through your hands. In today's real estate market, and trust me I have been searching for about a year, you have to act fast & a verbal agreement does not mean much. Your agent is probably trying to get an actual contract asap & will need your lawyer/attorney's information in order to send d contract over. Especially if this is a REO or foreclosure, you have only a few days to get the inspection done & sign the contract. Or else, another person's offer can still be accepted.

Believe me when I say that this rule was not set by your agent, he/she knows the game and is only trying to abide by it. Today's market needs an aggressive agent (and your agent seems like one).

If there are other reasons why you are dissatisfied with your agent, then you should speak with the broker's manager. If not, then you probably should refer me to him/her, as I could use a more aggressive agent myself. All the best in your purchase!
Linda Kang, , Plainview, NY
Wed Dec 2, 2009
Hello Ds,
You must be frustrated. You have right to fire the agent but if you really want to buy that house, it's better to talk to the broker of her office to resolve this matter. Hope everything works for you. Buying a house is really exciting but serious matter. Hope your buying experience is fun for you from now on. Good luck!
Melissa Kakuk, Agent, Irvine, CA
Wed Dec 2, 2009
There are no verbal offers in real estate period. Why do you want to fire the agent anyway? I imagine this wasn't the first home he/she showed you. If something bad happened you could always get another agent assigned from the same brokerage. There just isn't enough info. in your question to warrant a great answer. Good luck.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Mon Nov 30, 2009
Ds..........Regardless of who found the property, if you took your agent along, why would you want to "fire" him or her now? Sounds as if some negotiating has gone on , too...... If you now have an accepted verbal offer, this is the time you need the agent most.... to help you through the process..............the work has just begun.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Mon Nov 30, 2009
Another story that doesn't sound right.
Carol McAlis…, Agent, Nashville, TN
Mon Nov 30, 2009
After reading the additional information, I am sorry and hope you have worked out.

A verbal offer is NOT a contract so even if she jumped the gun and called, you had not written a valid offer to present to the sellers. If you did decided to present an offer, your closing costs, inspection etc would have been written in the offer and then presented to the sellers. Once all parties agree and sign, the offer then becomes a contract. Hope everything worked out for you and sorry if your agent did not explain the process to you.... I love first time buyers because it's teaching them everything they need to know that makes it educational as well as exciting.
Betty Stroll, Agent, Greenwich, CT
Fri Nov 27, 2009
Ds:

if you are having an issue with your Realtor my suggestion would be to speak with the Realtor's manager. Make an appt with him/her and discuss the challenges you have incurred. The manger will get involved with you and perhaps switch realtors to make the transaction successful. Managers are there to assist brokers and clients equally!

Nirmala Cara…, Agent, Bronx, NY
Wed Nov 25, 2009
Dear Ds,

In this business you will find bad and good agents. Since several days have passed now. I hope that you have gotten this situation resolved. If not, here are my suggestions. Call your attorney and then agent's broker and discuss your situation. Buyers are not forced to stick with an agent if they do not feel that their agent represents their interest. I always meet with my clients and discuss their needs, purchasing a home is probably one of the most important and largest transaction a person will make.

Since you only have a verbal offer, I would also urge you to contact your attorney to discuss your rights.

Nirmala Caraballo
Real Estate Agent
Cruse Realty
Tel.: 646-479-7873
Email: nhcaraballo@yahoo.com
Ds, Home Buyer, Whitestone, NY
Sun Nov 22, 2009
We went to our agent when we found the house because we are first time home buyers and we thought she could help us through the process. First of all she jumped the gun in presenting the offer to the buyer, but since we want the house, we let that slide. However, she presented the purchase price without adding the rest of our offer, such as closing costs. Nowshe is "stalking" us. calling two and three times a day for the name of our lawyer, rushing us to get the inspection done. It has only been four days since she made the offer, which they accepted right away. We didn't even have time to let it sink in. I have told her that I will contact her as soon as I have the information, yet she continues to call.
Carol McAlis…, Agent, Nashville, TN
Sun Nov 22, 2009
you need representation so wondering why you wouldn't want your agent. The sellers agent represent the seller and cannot represent you in any way. You need an agent regardless....
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Sun Nov 22, 2009
Yes.

Do you mind sharing with us why you took your agent to see this property you found?
Carlisle Mit…, Other Pro, Houston, TX
Sun Nov 22, 2009
All real estate contracts must be in writing. Even with a written contract in most states you can terminate the contract if your not satisfied with the agents performance.