Home Buying in Willowbrook>Question Details

Rebecca Buyer, Home Buyer in Willowbrook, IL

If I found a new construction house I wanted to see and asked a co-worker to show it to me that is a realtor.

Asked by Rebecca Buyer, Willowbrook, IL Tue Jan 15, 2013

When i move forward and try to nagociate pricing does my co-worker that showed me the house have to stay involved? I never signed anything with her, I just ask her for a favor of showing it to me, and she seems to be staying involved and actually signed something with the builder of the home saying she represents me as a client.

Answers

5
Hi Rebecca, buying a home involves a lot more than just negotiating a price although that alone can possibly be worth more than the commission. Did your Realtor do/discuss a comparable market analysis/value prior to you writing the offer? Did you specifically ask her to show you the home as a favor with no further involvement? Did she explain Agency Law Representation options up front? There are many aspects and nuances in the process that could become pitfalls and risks that good professional experienced representation can avoid/overcome. Remember that your Realtor represents you and your interests while the builder/seller is only looking out for their own interests. You certainly have the right to "go it alone" (maybe not in this case since there is something that the builder signed already as you mentioned?). How experienced are you, how often have you done this and when was the last time compared to someone that does this for a living? I agree with the comments already given, you did get the Realtor involved and that has implications, although if you are not satisfied with the service you are getting you do have the right to seek other help or go it alone (you said you did not sign any agency agreement). Again, it might be too late on this house. The builder is not bound by the Realtor Code of Ethics (assuming he's not a licensed Broker), but in my opinion, it is less than reputable for him to sign an agreement with the Realtor then tell you that you could get the home for less without her.
Rebecca,
When it comes to buying or selling real estate I recommend that you always have a licensed expert represent you and expect to pay that person fairly for their services. Either way, you get what you pay for.

There is a saying that an attorney who represents himself has a fool for a client. That may apply here.

Paul Scheufler
Expert Realty Services, Inc
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 20, 2013
thank you Rebecca, glad to help!
Rebecca, the agent you're with is presumed to be your agent. Your friend is helping you whether you believe it or not. The builder pays their fee.
Thank you, the builder told me however he would go down on the price if she was not involved...
Flag Tue Jan 15, 2013
You need to have a conversation with her about it. By asking her to help you, you have implied that you want to work with her. Agents only get paid by making sales, so while it was nice of her to help you, I'm sure she assumes that you'll work with her and she'll eventually earn a commission from the seller of the house you end up buying. If this is not what you intend to do, you should be honest with her now.
Thank you for your fast response, the builder told me I have more negotiating without her...
Flag Tue Jan 15, 2013