If I build a house in an already developed area without specials, will I have specials?

Asked by Josh Ryan, Manhattan, KS Thu Jan 3, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Patrick Thein, Agent, Manhattan, KS
Fri Jun 13, 2014
If your build does not cause any further infrastructure to be build then you will not change the current specials assessed or not assessed in an area. Should future infrastructure be developed later new special assessments can be added to the area.
0 votes
Byron Lewis, Agent, Manhattan, KS
Thu Mar 21, 2013
Most likely not. However special assessments can be added later. If an improvement is made by the city or county for example that is deemed to benefit your property specials may be assessed to your property to pay for these improvements. Often happens when adding a neighborhood community to the municipal water or sewer system or improvements to storm water drainage. So yes, specials can be added later but as a property owner in the benefited area of a proposed new special assessment you should be notified that a project that would result in special assessments to your property are being considered.
0 votes
Daren Lee Le…, Agent, Manhattan, KS
Sun Feb 3, 2013
No, you will not. If there were specials, they would have been required to have been bonded prior completion of the development. There are some areas without specials, especially in Pottawatomie County, that I have recently come across. The infrastructure should be in place for your builder to tap into the required utilities as in a development that does have specials. However, in some areas of Pottawatomie county, all utility service may not be available in all areas. Give me a call at 785-341-6037. If you'd like to discuss further. I work with a number of builders in the area and may be of assistance should this be something you'd like to pursue.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Manhattan Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more