If I am purchasing a home for 55,000.00 and seller pays all closing costs and my loan is fha, how much do I need up front to purchase this home?

Asked by Tammy, Council Bluffs, IA Wed Jul 21, 2010

Answers

2
Gloria Ruesch, Agent, Council Bluffs, IA
Thu Jul 22, 2010
Hi Tammy,
You are required to have at least 3.5% of the purchase price in your account in order to qualify. The bank does have to confirm that you have the 3.5% in cash available, but your bottom line to bring to the table will not be the full 3.5%. Because of the tax proration on the closing statement, you will receive a credit from the seller for a full year of taxes, so your cash at closing amount will not be the full 3.5%. Any amounts that you prepay, such as the home inspection or loan application fee, will be credited against the amount due at closing. Most lenders and insurance companies in this area allow the homeowners insurance premium to be paid on the closing statement.
Please consult a local real estate professional to make sure you get the best advice. I'll be happy to help you.
Joseph Finne…, Agent, Bethlehem, PA
Wed Jul 21, 2010
Hi Tammy,

An FHA mortgage requires that the buyer contribute at minimum 3.5% towards the purchase. That means you would need $1925.00 (3.5% of $55,000).

There are some costs that you may have to pay out of pocket before the closing: property inspection, appraisal, and home owners insurance. If you pay for the property inspection and appraisal by check and keep the receipt it is possible that these may be deducted from the $1925.00 that you need to contribute towards the purchase.

Joe Finnerty
484-241-1641
Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc
Lehigh Valley, PA
Office: 610-865-7776