If I am buying a house on my own, how do I arrange for the appraiser and the home inspector to gain entry?

Asked by Ash, Richmond, VA Tue Jan 17, 2012

Do I contact the listing agent to get authorization? How do I get the keys?

Answers

11
Cheryl Talbot, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Wed Mar 14, 2012
Your lender will set up for the appraiser to meet the seller at the home. That's done through you to them. The home inspection is set up between you and the seller with the inspector. If there is an listing agnet, even though they work for the seller they will in fact help you out. Keep in mind, if the homes sells and goes to closing the Realtor gets paid. So why wouldn't they assist you? You won't get the keys until closing. They usually never give those to a buyer prior to settlement. Good Luck!
Ash, Home Buyer, Richmond, VA
Mon Jan 23, 2012
Thanks, Roland and Megan.
I have not submitted an offer yet. Just researching what I would need to do so I can be prepared.

Ash
Jason Home T…, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Wed Nov 13, 2013
You should have hired and agent. It's at no cost to you..
Misty Mount, Agent, Yorktown, VA
Thu Mar 29, 2012
If yo do not have an agent you will need to call the listing agent to set up an appt for the home inspection, my advice would be to make sure it's just you and the inspector. How odd would that be to have the Seller at home during the home inspection!
As for the Appraiser, that would be between the lender and Appraiser and Listing Agent since you have no access, but again, I would make every effort to be there.
James Davis, Agent, Virginia Beach, VA
Wed Feb 15, 2012
Actually your lender has to order and arrange the appraisal with the listing agent. Any other type of entry into the property needs to be coordinated with the listing agent.
Elliott R. O…, Agent, McLean, VA
Mon Jan 23, 2012
Hello Ash, I hope you are doing well.

If you are not using a buyer's agent then you would have to contact the listing agent for entry into the property for the inspection. As far as the appraisal goes, the lender orders the appraisal from an Appraisal Management Company (AMC) who then assigns the order to an appraiser in the area. The appraiser will contact the listing agent for entry in to the property.

If you need help with getting pre-approved for a mortgage I would be more than happy to show you your options.

Elliott R. Oliva
Mortgage Banker
Primary Residential Mortgage, Inc.
202-681-1636 direct
eoliva@primeres.com
"Se habla Espanol"
Megan Bower, Agent, Belleair, FL
Tue Jan 17, 2012
Does the seller have an agent? If so, contact that person. If there are no agents involved, contact the seller directly. Who did you submit your offer to?
Roland Vinya…, Agent, Sprakers, NY
Tue Jan 17, 2012
If there is a listing agent involved in the sale already, contact him and have him make the arrangements. If the seller is somehow selling to you without involving his agent (ie if he has retained the right to sell it himself), then you need to make arrangements with the owner directly. An alternative that I would use only if there is friction between you and the owner is to ask his attorney for a time when access can be granted for the appraisal and the inspection.
Ash, Home Buyer, Richmond, VA
Tue Jan 17, 2012
Thanks, Bill & Keeley.
Any solo buyers have experience with this? Would appreciate some info.
Keeley Toro, Agent, Spring Hill, FL
Tue Jan 17, 2012
You will need to arrange to get entry via the listing agent or the homeowner. If you had an agent they would handle this for you. Generally it is free for the buyer to have an agent represent them in the transaction as the seller usually pays the commission to the buyer's agent. If the seller has the property listed then they have representation. I would strongly recommend that you get an agent to represent you. Your agent will not only ensure that your best interest is protected by he/she will coordinate all of the inspections, title work, and stay on top of your lender (if you have one). If you don't have an agent usually the listing agent will help with those things and take both sides of the commission.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Tue Jan 17, 2012
Ash,

Yes, try contacting the listing agent but in going this route "solo" gaining access for an appraisal and inspection are only the very beginning of your worries.

The reality is that history shows that more home have been sold without the services of a real estate professional than with one...however, that was when a deal was done on a "hand shake." You may say that times have changed.....

Going it without a RE professional or an attorney in your corner may be asking for trouble.