Ideal town in Essex to buy a house (criteria mentioned below)?

Asked by Gaurav, Jersey City, NJ Sat Jan 19, 2013

We are looking to buy our first house and have the following criteria:
- 3BD/2Bath minimum
- Price around $500-550K
- Shorter commute to mid-town Manhattan (within 1 hour by public transit will be great!)
- Decent schools

Based on our 'online' research, Essex seems to be one of the most suitable counties. Among the following list of towns can someone suggest which town could provide me 'best bang for buck' considering house prices, property taxes(since they seem to be high in Essex), and other criteria mentioned earlier:
Montclair, Orange, W/E/S Orange, Glen Ridge, Livingston, Millburn, Maplewood.

Any more town that I should consider like Caldwell/s, Nutley?

Answers

6
Armin Lusiny…, Agent, Short Hills, NJ
Sat Jan 19, 2013
Hi Guarav,
Essex is a great county, but the property taxes are high. Check out Morris county - New Providence, Chatham, Summit and Madison - 'better bang for buck' ;). By the way, New Providence school was rated #1 in NJ in 2012
Best of luck,
Armin Lusinyants
(917)626-9420
http://www.MoveOutorInwithArmin.com
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Jan 20, 2013
Ahh, I just repsonded to your other thread in which I suggested you consider Essex (and Union) County, in addition to Morris!

Livingston has homes in your price range - a great school system and now offers 2 ways to commute into the city. There is the #77 Coach USA bus (50 min), but also a jitney service started in October from the Livingston Mall to the MidTown Direct train in S. Orange (train is 30-37 min).
There is free parking at the mall, and the 15 min shuttle ride to the S. Orange train station is only $2.00 each way.

W. Orange is also a good option (bus route and also jitneys to the train from various points in town), but the taxes will be higher than Livingston (ditto for Maplewood and S. Orange) - which is why I will ask if you have a cap for property taxes?

The Caldwells will offer only the bus as an option........but you shouldn't rule anything out until you get to explore it all.

Do you have a time frame for the move?

Please feel free to visit my website where I have a number of links, you might find useful, with town information.

I'd be happy to help you get started!

Best wishes.....

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewJersey.com

http://www.DebbieRoseSells.com
Marsha Bowen…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Jan 20, 2013
Hi Gaurav,

In addition to some of the towns mention, you can also research Roseland, property taxes tend to be lower than all the above towns. It's a smaller town and close to the Caldwells. There is no train station, but buses are close by and you can drive to the Livingston Mall to catch a bus or the shuttle bus to the South Orange train station. You can research Roseland in my link below:
Laquita Baez, , New Jersey
Sat Jan 19, 2013
HI Gaurav,

Essex county is a fine area with plenty of towns that has train stations or jitneys to get you to the city.
Maplewood, Livingston, West and South Orange, Montclair, and West Caldwell may fit the bill of what you are looking for.

Essex county is rated the 2nd highest county in the nation with the highest taxes.
Based on the homes that are currently on the market, West Orange, Montclair and select homes in South Orange and Maplewood seem to have the highest taxes than nearby cities like the Caldwells and Livingston.

To best answer your question about the "best bang for your buck", I would look at the type of homes
that are available within your budget in the "train station towns" since you prefer a convenient commute into the city.
I'd be more than happy to further discuss your options with you....

Laquita Baez
Weichert Realtors
973.687.7095
Sloan Berman, Agent, Montclair, NJ
Sat Jan 19, 2013
Yes, I would consider the Caldwells as well as Verona, Cedar Grove and Essex Fells which has low taxes but not a lot of inventory in your price range. Parts of Little Falls which is in Passaic County next to Montclair, would also be worth taking a look at.
Montclair, Glen Ridge, West and South Orange/Maplewood, Livingston, Millburn and Summit (in Union County) are all great Essex County towns you can't go wrong with.

lf you need an agent in any of these areas, please contact me.

Sloan
Brian Diehl, Agent, Verona, NJ
Sat Jan 19, 2013
Hello Gaurav,
You did a good and thorough job on the research. Have you looked at Little Falls? It borders Essex County and fits your criteria. It is in Passiac County, so that may be an issue for you.
As a savvy, educated consumer, you've done your homework. You seem rather serious and methodical about your research and if you aren't working with a Realtor, I'd suggest you find one soon.
When you are ready, send me an email and I can start assisting you right away.

Brian Diehl
Prudential New Jersey Properties
Brian.Diehl@PrudentialNewJersey.com
Mobile: 973-521-1061 (voice or text)
Web Reference:  http://www.DiehlHomes.com