John B, Both Buyer and Seller in New York County, NY

I would like to try to find/start a gentleman's farm in Ct. I work in NYC. Any recommendations for rural/Ag towns within 1 1/5-2 hours of?

Asked by John B, New York County, NY Sun Oct 7, 2012

manhattan?

Answers

15
Stephany Cou…, Renter, New Haven, CT
Sat Sep 28, 2013
Bethany ct is perfect== 3 minimum acres -- I have almost five and flat good land. and lovely house, barn, pond, rental unit and old clay tennis court. if interested white to me here. and give me your phone.
Jennifer Fiv…, Agent, Red Hook, NY
Mon Sep 2, 2013
Consider the CT town on the Northeast border of NY, Sharon, Kent etc. You could even Catch the Metro-North Train to Amenia.
Vasi, Home Buyer, 06437
Sun Sep 1, 2013
Hi John,

We are not listed on the internet yet. We have 3 1/2 acres in Guilford, CT, a shoreline community. We are approximately 2 miles from the train station. We have an interior lot and back up to a trust. About 1 1/2 acres is land and the rest have trees. At one point we believe that this was an old farm. Our property would be suitable for animals or plants. Our home is 1800+ square feet. If you would like pictures, please contact my husband Burt at (203)530-3383.
Karen Founta…, Agent, Manchester, NH
Thu Aug 29, 2013
Hi John,

I am a broker/agent in Manchester, CT. I know of a Parcel in Hamden CT. 8000 sq.ft home and the total piece has 93 acres with a working Alpaca farm. Presently it is being sold with the house and 5acres and the farm with 88 acres. Nice property.

Karen Fountain, 860-249-9652
Heather Clin…, Agent, Madison, CT
Wed Aug 28, 2013
Hi John,

I do not know if you found what you are looking for, but my colleague and I have a gentleman's farm for sale in Killingworth. It is a 23 acre retreat with an expanded and renovated 3062 square foot c1790 cape with a two story barn. Perfect property for horse lovers or someone looking for quiet, serene setting. Just 8 miles from Long Island Sound and I95 for easy commuting. If you would like further information about this property please contact us at William Pitt Sotheby's Int'l Realty in Madison, Connecticut.

Heather Clinton 203-530-7363 or Janet Mashia 203-530-8482
Darlene Eaton, Agent, Orange, CT
Tue Jun 11, 2013
Hi John, I use to work in Manhattan I took a train from Milford , There are few different places that may work for you...Bethany is a nice location right off RTE 8....I Just sold one 6 months ago...Call me 203-671-3012 and we can talk about what is most important to you regarding a Farm.
Dana Voelzke, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Bethel, CT
Wed Oct 10, 2012
Additionally for something more expensive than Bridgewater but also closer to NYC you might try the towns of Redding/Easton/Weston.
Tue Oct 9, 2012
I suggest you look into Southern Litchfield county. Bridgewater/New Milford CT area is the southernmost town, head from there north. Attached is a link to the town website. There are several other surrounding towns that seem appropriate for what you're looking to do.
ccg.appraisa…, , Old Saybrook, CT
Mon Oct 8, 2012
Hello, I am a real estate appraiser and my wife is both an appraiser and a buyers-broker. We are located in Old Saybrook, (about 10 miles east of Madison) and we know the area quite well. She can locate a the house that you want, negotiate and walk you through the deal without you paying a cent, as her pay comes out of the listing brokers commission. My wife's name is Joan Strickland, call her at 203-915-8205.It's a smart move!
Jade Papageo…, , 06443
Mon Oct 8, 2012
Dear John,
What do you exactly do you mean by a "gentleman's farm"?
ie, a working farm, lots of acerage? barn/ animals? veggie's?
Eric Thal, Agent, Madison, CT
Sun Oct 7, 2012
Hi John,
Interesting request with many ramifications. Do you want to have live stock, agriculture or both? Do you want something that is already started as a farm or just has potential? In this area from Branford to Stonington there are currently 30 properties that could fit your needs ranging in price from $235,000. to $2,450,000. I would be happy to discuss your desires further. I can be contacted at 203-494-7140 or eric.thal@raveis.com.
John Izzo, Agent, Guilford, CT
Sun Oct 7, 2012
John, contact me directly and I can go over the various properties, and I can also explain how my company specializes in this area

John Izzo
Realtor, Sales Consultant and Shoreline Specialist
William Raveis Real Estate
203-887-2574
John.zzo@raveis.com

VOTED Top 7% of CT's BEST REAL ESTATE AGENTS - CONNECTICUT MAGAZINE
Make a move, change your life, LET US MAKE IT HAPPEN
Anne Miller, , Manchester, CT
Sun Oct 7, 2012
John,

We have several properties east of the Connecticut river from..18 acres for $299,900
home on 31 acres w/stables, $425,000, home on 33 acres for $349,900, and 99 acre
estate w/barns w/ frontage on pond .

Let us know when you are free to look, we would love to help you.
Call me at 860-647-8000 x 33. We also work weekends, 24/7.

Anne
Anne Miller Real Estate.
Jennifer Dev…, Agent, Wallingford, CT
Sun Oct 7, 2012
I have a beautiful place for sale N326000 at 762 Wadsworth Street Middletown. Sits on over 10 acres, beautiful 2000 sq fr colonial, separate building makes a great artist studio and barn. Inground swimming pool, across from over 264 acre state park and a river runs along the rear of the property that is stocked yearly with trout. Located not far from I91 where you could drive to New York or there is a train station in the next town over. Give me a call 203-284-1822 x243 if this interests you or email me at jennifer_devivo@calcagni.com and I can email you the property profile.
Fred Corey, Agent, Guilford, CT
Sun Oct 7, 2012
Hi John,

Connecticut is the place to do that. The shoreline towns are beautiful and there are some that are considered agricultural communities still, where you can even get USDA loans on homes because there are enough farms in town to fall into the agricultural community category.

Killingworth has places with fair amounts of land, and is often considered the town for horse owners as there many horse friendly properties there. The town website is: http://www.killingworthct.com

There is also North Branford that has a fair number of active farms of various sizes. The town website is: http://www.townofnorthbranfordct.com

Durham is another town that has a good amount of farming still going on. The town website is: http://www.townofdurhamct.org

Right on the shoreline is Guilford. Few people that visit think it is a farming community as there is a lot of higher end residential in town, but it still has farms and a great fall Fair that focuses on that. The town site is: http://www.ci.guilford.ct.us

If you have any questions on any of the towns, or would like information on properties available, just let me know. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you as a new farmer to Connecticut in the near future.

Fred Corey
Associate Broker
RE/MAX Alliance