I would like to rent a house that is currently for sale. How do I engage the sellers to see if they would be interested in a 2 year lease?

Asked by Snyderman, 20895 Sat Oct 30, 2010

The rental inventory in the areas we are looking for don't meet our needs however the for sale inventory does. SHould I contact the seller myself or work thru the listing realtor?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Zmbrennan’s answer
Zmbrennan, , San Jose, CA
Sat Oct 30, 2010
If a home is listed, a good approach to the seller is to go directly throught the seller's listing agent.
This way the same agent is working as list and sale agent and this can prove more reasonable and efficient should you need to negotiate for the agent to recieve commission on the monthly lease.
If the house is not listed go directly to the owner. Be reasonable and appreciative of their time, engage with a suggestion and allow them time to consider. Be willing to move on and be willing to keep looking, as many sellers don't have the financial option to lease and these sellers will be unable to help you.
However, in the current market some sellers do have serious incentive to do this, so, this is a strategy becoming more and more prevalent. You may consider getting an option along with the lease. Good Luck.
0 votes
Donna Kerr, Agent, Silver Spring, MD
Sat Dec 28, 2013
You should reach out to the listing agent.
0 votes
Your Solar R…, Agent, Silver Spring, MD
Fri Feb 22, 2013
Have you considered buying? Rates are at a historic low.
0 votes
Miekeba Jones, Agent, Silver Spring, MD
Sun Feb 10, 2013
Hi Snyderman, ask the listing agent.
0 votes
Your Solar R…, Agent, Silver Spring, MD
Mon Feb 4, 2013
I would ask them exactly what you stated in your online platform. Great job!
0 votes
Ania Miller, Agent, Millersville, MD
Sat Oct 30, 2010
The benefit of having an Agent represent YOU, is that he or she can make these calls for you on your behalf.
More and more lately homes that are offered for sale end up renting for many reasons. However, if the Owners need to sell to move forward you would have your Agent look for properties to rent that suit your needs.
Web Reference:  http://www.aniamiller.com
0 votes
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Sat Oct 30, 2010
I would suggest that you contact a Realtor who would be working for you. I'm very sure that your Realtor will be able to find the perfect home that meets your criteria.
0 votes
Bruce Lemieux, Agent, Gaithersburg, MD
Sat Oct 30, 2010
When a home is listed 'for sale', with very few exceptions, the owner must sell so they can move on. Renting a home simply isn't an option for 95+% of sellers. If the home owner will consider a rental, you'll often see a second 'rental' listing for that property.

As the other agents have stated, contact the listing agent to see if a rental is possible.

Good luck.
Web Reference:  http://mocorealestate.com/
0 votes
dave, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Sat Oct 30, 2010
if the home is marketed for sale through a Realtor I would contact that Realtor to see if the seller will entertain a rental on the home. Some people are looking to sell becuase they need the proceeds from the sale to purchase their next home. Others on the other hand, are looking to sell becuase they are having a difficult time paying the mortgage or they are relocating.

it never hurts to check with the listig gagent to see if you can find one that is willing to consider a rental.
Web Reference:  http://www.davedicecco.com
0 votes
Tracey Simms, , Harford County, MD
Sat Oct 30, 2010
If the home is listed with a Realtor, either you or your agent must contact that Realtor to present your offer to the owner.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more