I would like to know if I buy 20 acres could I lease out some acres

Asked by Ed, Chula Vista, CA Wed Apr 9, 2008

Answers

5
Eric Kallen, Home Buyer, Campo, CA
Sat Feb 11, 2012
For strictly agricultural use, yes. But for other uses you would need to subdivide. Not an easy job! If you lease out a portion of our property San Diego County will not grant a building permit until you've legally divided the property.

Note that there are regulations governing clearing of undisturbed land for agriculture which may make the whole thing less than desirable.
Jason Fritz, , Marietta, GA
Tue Sep 1, 2009
Yeah sure of course. Assuming theres a market for them.
Cheryl Furr, , Jacumba, CA
Tue Sep 1, 2009
It all comes down to the water. What is the well producing? What are the readings of the water test. Also the climate. What type of crops will it support? If there is no well, or it is a slow producer, it may cost you more than you like to get the productivity up.
Jerry Paine, Agent, Wenatchee, WA
Wed Apr 9, 2008
Ed,

I would advise you to check local zoning ordinances to determine if you are allowed to lease all or part of a tract of land. Here locally in the Wenatchee, Wa area, it is allowed and it is not uncommon for an orchard owner to lease out large portions of his orchard to wanna be farmers.

Good Luck,
Jerry Paine
Sandra Zambi…, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed Apr 9, 2008
Ed, you will need to check with title and zoning to see what conditions might be on the land. I will be happy to assit you. Do you have the information on the property owner? 760-297-0826