Dale Warner, Real Estate Pro in Burlington, NC

I wonder if I should just be a buyers agent?

Asked by Dale Warner, Burlington, NC Thu Dec 27, 2012

Answers

6
Your contacts that want your help to sell their homes would be sad.
I prefer to be a Dual Agent. Our town is small and to be just a buyers agent or a sellers agent would be a financial disaster for me. However, if you are in a LARGE metro area and you feel you better represent the buyers and have good contacts at banks and such, go for it!
What makes you wonder this, Dale?
I've always thought that seeing how transactions work at each end is valuable experience. I have more to offer buyers because I've helped sellers (in fact the only way you really know what happens with a sale is if you're the seller's agent) and vice versa. If you're new in the business you'll probably end up working with more buyers initially but why not prospect for listings at the same time?
Absolutely nothing wrong with being a dedicated buyers agent. The question is do you prefer working with buyers or sellers? Is there a particular reason you're thinking of giving up taking listings?

Personally though my state permits it I will never engage in dual agency, I will only represent one side in any single transaction. 75% of my business is buyer side as I absolutely prefer buyers however I still take listings as long as the seller agrees to list at the price I suggest , I refuse to waste my time or money on listings that i don't believe are priced right and probably end up turning away roughly half the listings I'm offered as the Sellers may want what i have to offer in terms of marketing but don't want to follow my advice.
It is more up to your company than you unless you are the only agent in the company. Listings are owned by your company, not the agent themselves, so being an exclusive Buyers Agent means the company takes no listings at all - not just you.