I will be moving to New Orleans in June, to attend LSU Dental. I am looking to buy a 3 bed room house in a

Asked by Luis, Boston, MA Sat May 10, 2008

SAFE neighborhood that will be close to school. Please guide me to what area I should be looking into.

Answers

8
Annorac, Home Buyer, New Orleans, LA
Thu Mar 30, 2017
i have a 2bed, 1 bath, hard wood floors plaster walls in lakeview 5601 west end blvd, new orleans one of the safest places in new orleans phone 9859666326 furnished or un furnished $1350 un or$1550 furnished will be ready may 2017
4
ian cockburn, Agent, New Orleans, LA
Tue May 20, 2008
Whew! Sure are alot of answers for people that neither live nor work within 2 miles of the place in question like myself!

The best advice one can get is if you are going to be in school, find a double close to LSU Dental, and the best place to live in such a place maybe close to City Park.

Safe is all relative...New Orleans proper is a port city...as with all port cities, there are people from all over the world traversing the area all the time. As such, being in a "safe" area is relative to your budget and alot of getting to know one's neighbours and so much more.

If you want what appears to be a good investment...look at parts of Midcity. If you want to live large, live in a condo in the quarter...just that parking ill be an issue.

The bottom line is you need a budget, and a good idea of lifestyle, for living in our city is all about where your home is relaive to work, school, play and more play.
Web Reference:  http://iansellsnola.com
LA Lending, , Baton Rouge, LA
Mon May 19, 2008
Luis -
My fiance's brother graduated from the Dental School a few years ago - he lived off Canal when he was in school, and had many friends in the area. If you would like an insiders perspective, I would be happy to talk to him for you.

Also New Orleans is a unique area - I know a lot would depend on your personality and budget. The city is subdivided into areas known as MidCity, Uptown, the Art District, French Quarter, etc.

Determine how much you can afford before you start shopping. The price range for New Orleans is all over the board.

If you would like to discuss this more - please call!
Web Reference:  http://www.LALending.net
craig miramb…, Agent, Metairie, LA
Thu May 15, 2008
I try staying out of New Orleans at 3 am, as much as possible. Nothing good happens there that late at night, so i dont know the drive time at that hour.
I would say traffic on the westbank is becoming equally as bad. I left Stonebridge Country Club, yesterday as a matter of fact ,and it took me 29 minutes to get to the toll plaza at 6:15pm, and thats a straight shot.
Mr Weeks, the fact that you say your house would be worth 450K in Metairie, doesn't that prove that Metairie is about locaton, and thats where people would like to be?
I drive to the arena/superdome for games (no traffic) and it takes about 12 mins. Granted I live near Bonnabel and Met Rd , which is close to N.O.
In the mornings, for me, I could be at the Cotton Mill Condos in under 20 minutes.
Mr Weeks, let me know if you need help selling that home of yours, I would be glad to help you out and start advertising it to sell. Just curious, are you moving to Metairie?
Kenny Weeks, , Marrero, LA
Thu May 15, 2008
Metairie is very much, a busy little city as Mr.Gigrh said, traffic is bad . I have a concrete home (I.C.F.) home for sale in Marrero, appx 2400 sq. ft. and 1200 shop. lot size 90 x 120. If this house was in Metairie value would be over 450,000. Currently listed for 308,000 My wife drives to the city every day morning at 730am it's 25 min. and at 530 it's 20 min. Some one answered,( Mr. Craig) said 10-15 min. from Metairie, this is at 3am.(OK) phone 504-348-0677
Glgrh, , 70124
Mon May 12, 2008
How much you want to spend will direct you to different neighborhoods. The school is pretty centrally located, so you have lots of options. Like Ian stated there are neighborhoods in many different transistions because of what happened during Katrina. i am not a real estate agent so I am not trying to get your business, but Metairie is a typical suburb(very little planning went into its layout) of any city for good or bad. There are plenty of areas in the city itself someone from boston may appreciate.
check and shop around.
uptown, lakefront, lakeview to name a few.
craig miramb…, Agent, Metairie, LA
Sat May 10, 2008
Hey Luis, I think you would be pleasantly surprised with the Metairie area. It's no more than 10-15 minutes from school, downtown, basically everything . It is is Jefferson Parish, not Orleans, there will be perks for that as well.

I woul dbe glad to send you info on the area, maps, homes currently for sale, etc. Where are you now? Will this be your first home. Email me , i would like to help.

realtorcraig@cox.net
ian cockburn, Agent, New Orleans, LA
Sat May 10, 2008
The only way to really feel comfortable where you are living in the New Orleans area is to drive around, The area around the Dental school is undergoing a huge transformation.
To get a better handle on where you want to live, it would be best to know what budget you have in mind/what you have prequalified for.

Take a look at my website to understand more about the New Orleans metro area and considerations hen moving here.

Once you have a budget, you can better see how this fits into your lifestyle such as how you feel being in close proximity to parks, parade routes and so on.

THen consider do you want to live in a 100 yr old home with lots of character, or prefer a more modern alternative?

Once you are clear on these factoids, then you begin the process of home hunting in New Orleans metro area.
Web Reference:  http://iansellsnola.com