Beverly, Home Buyer in 61071

I wave a 2 year old daughter, we have an opportunity to buy in west Rockford, by atwood street. is this a?

Asked by Beverly, 61071 Tue Jan 20, 2009

good area ?

Answers

8
Beverly, Home Buyer, 61071
Tue Jan 20, 2009
I have A 2 year old daughter, we have an opportunity to buy in west Rockford, by Atwood street. is this a good area for children? anyone please help
Lpchick1013, , Rockford, IL
Tue Sep 22, 2009
I would strongly advise against the West side of town - especially the southwest side. I've lived in Rockford nearly all my life, in the 61107 zip and now just south of there in the 61108 zip code and I refuse to live in the Rolling Green area or on the southwest side of town - I hear that's where the biggest crime problems in town tend to be from people who either live there or know people that live there. That area of town is not very safe at all - the further west you get, the worse the crime is.
Linda Oh Lin…, , Rockford, IL
Wed Feb 25, 2009
I live in the far east side (as far as you can get in city limits): 61107. High tax rates! Schools are iffy-at best. Snow plowing is a joke. I can count the # of times I've seen a cop car go down our block to patrol the neighborhood in the past 7 years.

I'd definately call the community officer that patrols the area you are talking about. If it's near the Atwood Park area, then I'm thinking it's far far west, not much to offer out there. Lots of older homes, hence, lower prices, more run down areas.

The school system spends quite a bit of money bussing everyone, everywhere. Just because you live in a particular neighborhood, doesnt necessarily mean you go to school in that neighborhood! At least 5 buses go through our neighborhood and we don't have many kids in our subdivision. If your focus is bringing up your 2 year old in this area, then I'd reconsider, unless you can afford private.

Depending on the way you're accustomed to living will determine if you feel 'comfortable'.

My opinion, look elsewhere.
Jen, Both Buyer And Seller, Rockford, IL
Sat Feb 21, 2009
Buying on the west side (west of the Rock River) is VERY affordable. However, it is not considered the best area to live as far as crime rates,etc. If I were you I would rather invest in a smaller home in the 61107 or 61114 area code. You'll pay more but the neighborhoods are nicer. There are some nice places in Northwest Rockford,usually north of West Riverside and west of North Rockton. Hope this helps.
Rockford Blo…, Home Buyer, Rockfish, IL
Wed Jan 21, 2009
Should be fine as long as you have a pitbull and 12-gauge shotgun.
Also, plan on investing in deadbolts, razorwire, and a home security system.
Victoria Wat…, Agent, Algonquin, IL
Wed Jan 21, 2009
Go to the school tab on my site http://www.vickisdreamhomes.com and then search for the school. That will give you a good start as far as the ethnic background and income levels int he area.
Beverly, Home Buyer, 61071
Wed Jan 21, 2009
Thanks Vicki for your effort, and time, But I was hoping to get maybe someone who actually lives in that area or near by to assist me, as they would know first hand of that area, I understand that realtors are limited and ristricted by law as to how much if any input they can give on the violence and criminal activity, thats's why I was hoping to get an answer from another non realtor member here
Victoria Wat…, Agent, Algonquin, IL
Wed Jan 21, 2009
I see several homes and few mobile homes on Atwoood that did NOT sell as low as $32,000, so that said, I will let you be the judge of the area.