I was wondering if it is a common mistake to see the 'year built' date different between the realtor's listing and the county

Asked by Kybersmom, McKeesport, PA Sat Aug 6, 2011

assessment records. The house I'm looking at shows a 12 year difference between when the listing says it was built and when the assessment records show it was built. How signicant an issue could this turn out to be?

Answers

6
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Wed Sep 28, 2011
A 1 year difference isn't uncommon, as the county will list the date as the year the builder filed for a permit and started construction and sometimes the house isn't finished to the following year, however a 12 year difference isn't very common.

In terms of significance it's not that big a deal, the house is what it is. If you had it inspected you've found out what condition it's in and frankly the fact that the tax records and listing sheet differ on the age of the property to me means very little. Tax records are entered by people and are as prone to be wrong as the listing agent. Mainly it's a matter of curiosity. You could always ask the listing agent where they got their information from. Typically they get it from the tax records, but in this case they either made a huge typo or are basing their information on a source other than the tax records.
Rachel Damma…, , Westminster, CO
Sat Aug 6, 2011
I would ask the listing agent where they got their information. Most agents get their information from county records so it might be an input error. It might make a difference for taxes and insurance purposes. Is it in a neighborhood where all the homes were built at the same time? If so, you can research their records with the county to try to help determine the correct year built.
wildflower509, , McKeesport, PA
Wed Nov 27, 2013
The Wesley St home is much older than the listed built date shows. I graduated high school in 1961 while living in this home, and it was very old back then. In fact the kitchen had the one piece porcelain sink with an under-drape, and very tall, plywood type cabinets. The furnace in this home when my family moved into it in the early 1950's was coal. My father converted to natural gas. The original structure is the taller section , block shapped , of this house, the rest is newer add ons.
Judy Wilson, Agent, Moon Township, PA
Wed Sep 28, 2011
Hopefully, the Listing Agent has obtained a copy of the Deed from the Seller, which will generally show the actual age of the Home. The County website is often not accurate, as to age.
Gita Bantwal, Agent, Jamison, PA
Sun Aug 7, 2011
the others have given you good information. Your agent can help you find the answer.
Web Reference:  http://www.gitabantwal.com
Christine Lo…, Agent, Sterling, MA
Sat Aug 6, 2011
Kybersmom,
Is it an apartment that was converted to say a townhouse, or some condo type style. Sometimes you will see year built/converted year. The year built is usually much older than the year converted. I too would recommend asking the listing agent. If you can't do that then I would contact the town assesors office and ask them what they have for a year built. Good luck with this!!