I was wondering how I could find out if someone had died in the house that I am interested in?

Asked by Cindy Lou, 34293 Sat Jun 28, 2008

Answers

12
Mott Marvin…, Agent, Sunny Isles Beach, FL
Sat Jun 28, 2008
Perhaps you could hire a professional "medium" psychic to conduct a sayance. Legally, it may be possible to find such information from the coroners office and/or police records. I like the sayance idea, personally!


Betsie Taber, Agent, Lakewood Ranch, FL
Fri Jul 18, 2008
Ask the neighbors. A real estate agent isn't allowed by law to answer such a question because it is not a material fact that should affect the value of a house.
Tom Mastrang…, , Beverly Hills, FL
Wed Jul 2, 2008
In Florida, as opposed to other states, the law states that it is not to be disclosed by the agent up front. The home owner, if not represented by an agent, can say it.

Florida has determined that it is not have a "material effect" on value, for the simple reason:

Florida has been a retirement area and natural death commonly occurs after people retire. So chances are, if a home is old enough, someone may have died in it. That is why it is assumed to be immaterial to the value. If the homeowner wants to tell you, it is up to them, but the agent is not required to as it is also a privacy issue. Also, "stigmatized properties," such as those which may have been believed to have been inhabited by "ghosts" are not to be disclosed in Florida.

In essence, it is a state by state law and procedure.

Tom Mastrangelo
Citrus County Realtor
EXIT Realty Leaders
Beverly Hills, FL
(352) 400-0011
~serving all of Citrus County and Dunnellon~
http://tommastrangelo.blogspot.com
http://tommastrangelo.com
Carlos Herre…, Agent, Orlando, FL
Wed Jul 30, 2008
This might be a touchy subject for some people so I'll stick to answering without too much opinion.
It would be more difficult than it used to to find this out as real estate agents do not have to disclose this in Florida anymore. I am pretty sure this is the case.
Only way I would think of finding it out (if this really matters to you), is talking to the neighbors, they always know. If not...you can check out previous owner's names for as far back as you care to know..then check death records from the clerks office.
Kb, Both Buyer And Seller, 80134
Fri Jul 18, 2008
A very dear friend passed away, unexpectedly from natural causes, two doors down from our home. The person who bought the house (an out-of-towner) asked me shortly after she moved in if it was true the owner had died, and she wanted to know where in the house he had passed away. She didn't want to put her bed on the same wall. Everyone has their "thing" that's important to them. I was able to assure her he was a wonderful person, and didn't suffer in the house, it was a sudden & peaceful death.

I think asking the neighbors is a great idea. I agree, I wouldn't want to live where someone was murdered. But if it's a natural death, no biggie. Then again, I don't believe in ghosts.

Kathy
J R, , New York, NY
Fri Jul 18, 2008
When you say "died" do you mean naturally or by murder? Where I am there a lot of very old homes. I'd be surprised if most of them DIDN'T have someone die in them. Why would you need to know that? Do you believe in ghosts or something?
Jacqueline F…, , Kissimmee, FL
Sun Jun 29, 2008
I think a sayance would be alot more fun than looking up county records!
Way to think outside the box Mott!
Ines Hegedus…, Agent, Miami, FL
Sat Jun 28, 2008
I had to give Mott a thumbs up! his answer is priceless! :)
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Jun 28, 2008
Cindy,
What would give you the reason to be concerned about this? Try talking to the neightbors..I'm sure they would know,
The "Eckler Team"
Steve Javier, , Orlando, FL
Sat Jun 28, 2008
public records, is the simple answer.
Ines Hegedus…, Agent, Miami, FL
Sat Jun 28, 2008
cindy,
in Florida, real estate agents are not required to disclose a death because it does not affect the value of the property. You can ask neighbors or if you want to be a little more discreet, ask the mail carrier.
Web Reference:  Http://www.miamism.com
Antonio Vega…, Agent, Saint Cloud, FL
Sat Jun 28, 2008
Cindy:

In Florida that is not considered a material fact, so by law it does NOT have to be disclosed. Your best resource is to do a search with your local newspaper of largest circulation. Search by address.

Tony.Vega@ColdwellBanker.com
Web Reference:  http://www.TonyInFlorida.com