I was watching AANTV auction last night and won a bid. I had to put 20% down on credit card immediately and balance due in 15 days. I am finding very

Asked by Tina, North Port, FL Wed Feb 1, 2012

misleading info now, and want to know if legally I can get my 20% back as they state that I must be pre registered before they will accept a bid. I was NOT pre registered and still not yet they took my bid. Can you help? I would much rather bought a home from this site Trulia as these homes are done. That mess is suppose to be 90 % finished but in reality there isn't even a legal septic in needs lots more money-there is a 5000 impact fee due if you want a c/o!!!They were not forth right with me.Because I did not sign am I still gonna lose my money

Answers

33
Kathy Schultz, Home Buyer, Bradenton, FL
Tue Mar 18, 2014
This is a case of where the buyer needs to be wary. You need to realize you are not going to get a house for half price that doesn't need work. If the house was in near perfect condition, it would have been offered on the real estate market at market value! These houses auctioned on AANTV are advertised on line before the auction. A buyer needs to look at the house before bidding at the auction, which means do a drive-by. Check the roof, siding, windows, a/c. Look in the windows. Find out as much about the house as you can. You need to realize older homes may have major issues, such as plumbing, electrical, structural and septic.
If you are unfamiliar with how auctions work, watch one of the TV shows where investors buy houses at auctions and flip them. The buyers almost always run into unforeseen problems that were not disclosed at the auction. Most auctions, as does AANTV, clearly state you are buying the property "as is." You need to do your homework. You will also get some tips as to setting a budget.
Realize , too, that apparently AANTV hires someone to make cosmetic changes only so that the house looks good on TV. So you may need to spend some money to bring the house up to your standards or even to code, if you are buying the house for yourself.
The likelyhood that you are bidding against investors who flip houses is very good, as well. Since most of them have set budgets, you may have to be willing to pay a little more than they will in order to get the house.
Do you need a real estate agent? That is entirely up to you, but you will need to pay a commission on top of closing costs and the purchase price of the house. At least, you should probably hire a local (to where you are buying) attorney, someone that is looking out for your interests. Do this before buying the house! Especially if you are out-of-state!
Buying a house at an be a great way to save money on a home. You just have to be smart about it!
I paid my money down never got property
Flag Tue Aug 9, 2016
that is why they put the catalog up 90 minutes before air time....who can go run and look at homes in that amount of time...
Flag Mon Dec 28, 2015
mike125982, , North Port, FL
Sat Nov 1, 2014
I just want to contribute a general comment about purchasing these foreclosed properties sight unseen.
Florida a a very hot humid State. Homes that have been uninhabited for any length of time in this heat are going to become prone to have mold problems and insect infestations. Not to mention the clowns that
may have squatted in them while they were abandoned.
Folks are paying way too much for these homes sight unseen. I watch these auctions and feel very sorry for the buyers. I know that they haven't even gone to Trulia or Zillow to just compare prices, because if the did they'd know straight away what the homes are really worth. And lastly never purchase a home without a visual inspection and if possible get a professional home inspector to inspect it for you.
Tinaman2803, Home Buyer, Weyerhaeuser, WI
Mon May 20, 2013
I don't think they can hold you to a contract you did not sign. They will try to strong arm you,They are professional scammers. They got me too by giving misleading information about the house and the neighborhood. Would you like to help form a class-action lawsuit? I think we would have little trouble finding other victims. Them and their due-diligence, How about a little honesty.
Thomas Bowman. I am trying to contact you to help you get your property or your money. We want to make this right please call 727-321-5728 or 1-800-269-9629
Flag Fri Sep 30, 2016
I paid my money down never got the property
Flag Tue Aug 9, 2016
class action seems like a good way to go these guys are liars and scammers
Flag Mon Dec 8, 2014
Ann Ryan, Agent, Doral, FL
Wed Feb 1, 2012
You said the magic word credit card... try calling them and objecting to the charge saying you were misled regarding the condition of the house and didn't meet the conditions of the auction. Do it now. Then call a lawyer to get some paperwork started. Document every thing you can, every call, every e-mail. Best of luck!
Do it quicker the better.God Bless You I am sorry for your plight.
Flag Sat Oct 17, 2015
Ken Ipox, Agent, Sarasota, FL
Wed Feb 1, 2012
Tina,

Your situation is all the reasons why in the world people are better served working directly with a Seasoned and Experienced Professional like a Real Estate Agent when buying a home than picking around an auction site to buy a house.

BUYER BEWARE- is an age old saying. Many people get lured into these Auctions to get the deal of a life time. So perhaps your purchase price after fixing the property will still be a great deal. That is what you should have done prior to making a bid. Knowing what you were getting yourself into.

I just got a property under contract for a client through an on line auction system. BUT, you have to be a licensed agent to make bids on that system. My buyer is fully protected and has complete inspection ability and right to cancel.

I would suggest you consult a Real Estate Attorney in the area to assist you in getting out of or minimizing the situation you now have made for yourself.

Ken Ipox
Web Reference:  http://www.kenipox.net
Drewevery, Home Buyer, North Port, FL
Fri Jun 10, 2016
Hi, I used to work there and as stated you must be pre-registered in order to purchase Real Estate as well as have a signed copy of the terms and conditions for Real Estate on file. They have you recorded (which is standard procedure) and they told you what the terms and conditions were not only for the regular part of the show but also for the Real Estate aspect of the program. You agreed to said terms and they have the right to expect you to adhere to them. Also the 20% (this is calculated for Real Estate only) that you are speaking of is broken down as a 10% buyers premium and a 10% down payment which equals 20% that is non-refundable as stated is said terms and conditions. You are responsible for this payment. Now you might call them back and ask if hey will work with you as well as familiarize yourself with their terms for purchasing. Also you can go to http://www.aantv.com and get any info you might need about the show or how to participate. I do hope this helps.
Asefasf, Home Buyer, North Port, FL
Mon May 9, 2016
WHEN YOU ORDER COINS THEY TELL YOU 4-6 WEEKS, MORE LIKE 8-10 WEEKS IF YOUR LUCKY, E-MAIL THEM AND WILL NOT GET A RESPONSE BACK. WHEN YOU CALL THEM THEY TELL YOU THAT THEY HAVE NOT COME IN YET, WHICH MEANS THEY ARE SELLING THINGS THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE,15 WEEKS LATER STILL NOTHING, OH WE ARE STILL WAITING ON THOSE TO COME IN, IS THERE ANSWER. IF I SOLD SOMETHING I DIDN'T HAVE I WOULD BE IN DEEP S...
Diane Christ…, Agent, Sarasota, FL
Fri Apr 1, 2016
You need to speak to a lawyer, rather than asking advice on this forum, where most of the questions are answered by real estate agents who cannot give legal advice.
Jlyster, Home Buyer, North Port, FL
Fri Apr 1, 2016
I got the
bad END OF THE DEAL WHEN I STARTED CALLING THE SECOND THE ITEM CAME ONTO THE TV AND AFTER OVER 15 MINUTES SOME ONE ANSWERED AND TELLS ME TOO BAD YOU ARE NOT GETTING ONE WE SOLD OUT AFTER WASTING OVER 15 MINUTES OF MY TIME THEY DID THIS TO A LONG TIME CUSTOMER REALLY . I FOR ONE HOPE PEOPLE STOP WASTING THEIR HARD EARNED MONEY BUYING CRAP FROM THEM . tHE COMPANY IS A SCAM AND A RIPP OFF THEY crap ON THEIR CUSTOMERS AND THEN TAKE YOUR MONEY AND crapped ON YOU AGAIN. tHIS IS A SCAMMERS COMPANY AND THEIR ITEMS ARE NOT GOOD IT IS ALL crap
I'm sorry that you had this experience. What you must realize is that bids are happening real time between several phone operators. Unfortunately, it appears someone bid right before you did and you lost. That is what happens in auction. Please try again. It is also part of the fun. Hope we can make it up to you in viewing pleasure in the future.
Flag Fri Sep 30, 2016
Rob29kt, Home Buyer, North Port, FL
Sun Jul 12, 2015
I notice that these real estate agents have all the answers. They're not all on the up & up. I've had questionable dealing with them and they are just as shady. REALTOR ethics HA they don't have any
Sdl38, Home Buyer, North Port, FL
Wed May 20, 2015
It seems as though there could be other loans on properties that you might not know about until a complete search was done.
Be careful buying from TV auctions!
estilstidham, Home Buyer, New Port Richey, FL
Fri May 30, 2014
These people are very smart. They know how to keep your money. I saw them resell a house three times. At 20% each time, that is big money. If a roof is bad they do not show it or maybe glance over it. This is so phoney, that I Can not understand why anybody would buy a house this way. They say that an AC will be installed, but fails to tell the age and size of the unit. Also, a condenser should be install with a air handler that is typicaly used with the condenser. They seem to always find a sucker.
Beware of big buddy ROB.
Randy and Vi…, Agent, Punta Gorda, FL
Wed Apr 30, 2014
I know that this post is several years old, but I've never heard of this company before. And I can't for the live of me understand how gullible people can be. You really need to have your head checked if you think buying a HOUSE site unseen is a good idea. It's not a 5 dollar screw driver, it's Property of gods sake!
Really? Randy and Vicki almighty judgmental! Wow! So full of compassion for others. Maybe you both should be in a different Job. Your an agent (teach people). Don't put them down. Maybe it is your head that needs an exam?
Flag Mon May 18, 2015
Kim Redlin, Home Buyer, 86334
Sat Mar 1, 2014
Totally misrepresent the DVD wasn't anything like the tv presentation they scam drug neighborhoods missing hot water heater I lost money big time
Judi Monday,…, Agent, Green Valley, AZ
Fri Jan 10, 2014
You need to immediately call a good real estate attorney in your area for advice and help on this issue. Best of luck.
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Fri Jan 10, 2014
While the consumer in me believes in "buyer beware", and I always try to exercise due diligence before making any major investment, the professional Realtor in me SCREAMS out that any company that relies on "buyer beware" should be ashamed of themselves and should be avoided at all costs. A GOOD company with an honest product and business plan is ALWAYS willing to give the customer their money back...satisfaction guaranteed. A shady company with poor quality merchandise and a crooked business plan makes NOT GIVING people their money back a major PART of their business plan. Shameful.
Many companies selling services to real estate agents have a single purpose business plan, direct billing the credit card. Once auto billing starts they reveal their shady side.
Flag Fri Jul 25, 2014
thisnanas, Home Owner, North Port, FL
Fri Jul 12, 2013
The same thing happened to us and we have been trying for 2 years to get our money back. We have contacted the Florida Dept. of Real Estate and an attorney and it seems that no one can get AAN to budge on their stand. They quote the due diligence clause like it is the Bible and say terms and conditions state that they can keep your 20 percent. They offered us 1/2 of our down payment but then asked us to sign a release of contract that says it's our fault the sale didn't go through and once we sign this release we won't pursue the situation anymore; very dishonest if you ask me. Good luck in getting anything from them.
Cherie, Home Owner, Washington
Tue Jun 19, 2012
I and My Husband also bid and won a house it was not as stated we had to hire an attorney it is a mess these people are not honest in their dealings and they skirt around the law. In our case they stated that they had purchased air conditionder for the property and thet they guranteed that they would be installed and working prior to close.
We went to Fla. We Live in Wash State two days prior to close to find that they had installed one air conditioner that was 15 years old and the other was older than that.They did not pull any permits and the water system that they showed on the walk thru was full of trash and they knew this at the time of the show. they turned on water in the sinks but the traps were not installed so the water had to run on the floor. If there are other peoople that have been taken by the dishonesty of these people maybe there should be a class action suit.
I wish more people would speak out like this article because this just made my mind up and I was registered and did purchase coins from them with good service as they said on tv there could be a 3 leg buffalo nickel and when the rapers came in they were ripped and went throw thanks for this article
Flag Tue Oct 1, 2013
I was taken by them too. If you know of a class action suit . I'm interested in joining. Lost 17 k. Kerwvin2006@ yahoo. Com
Flag Sun May 19, 2013
Gemsandstuff2, Home Buyer, North Port, FL
Sat Nov 4, 2017
I hope you can as they went out of business!
Deb Prevost, Home Buyer, Beach Park, IL
Fri Nov 3, 2017
well, effective at 10pm tonight, 11/3/2017, they're no longer in business! I've bought out-of-state property via tv from them with no problem ... saw it again on the DVD they sent & thot it was cool! went to see the property a yr later, and it's beeeeeyoootiful! what a nice surprise!
Wonder if they will ship items that have been paid for like coins not received yet??
Flag Mon Nov 6, 2017
Rannagley, Home Buyer, North Port, FL
Mon Apr 10, 2017
They state at the begining of every show properties are free of all leans and incumbents. Your property obviously is not. Any lawyer will note this and problem solved.
Joeplayer123, Home Buyer, North Port, FL
Sat Dec 10, 2016
I may not know real estate but I know coins, been collecting and dealing in them for 40 years and I can tell you without a shadow of doubt these people are con men.They regularly represent copys , metals and bullion coins as the real thing.They sell gold in carrots insted of grams to inflate the price...They will show you a copy and quote the price of the real coin from redbook..Im sure the same business practices apply to all there dealings,,I wouldnt buy a newspaper from these con men
Marcilepowers, Home Buyer, Boulder, CO
Fri Sep 30, 2016
Tina, please call 727-321-5728 or 1-800-269-9629. This forum has gotten out of control and we at AANtv want to make things right. It has been several years since you posted this topic and we need closure. Our customer service representatives are told to state the rules to every customer before they apply the bid. We do not just have one line of defense for making sure our customers are serious about buying the property. We need to sell each and every home that comes up during the night. Our air time and payroll fees are cripplingly tall. We are trying to keep ourselves in business and pay our own bills. This is why the 20% fee is a necessary evil. Imagine if people frequently bought products from your business and then returned them when they changed their minds. It might cause you to overspend restocking or adding new inventory and eventually go out of business. We have had a few customers that will buy tens of thousands of dollars of products in a few weeks and then return them all at once. We have to block these customers because sometimes people can't help themselves. Our fees insure that our families will stay fed. I'm sorry you were unhappy with the product, but we are doing our best to stay in business and do right by our employees, vendors and customers during these hard economic times. I thank everyone on this forum for their understanding and welcome anyone who still feels wronged by us to please contact us so that we can have a chance to fix whatever problems you need addressed. God Bless.
what is the channel going to do with all the watches and jewelry?
Flag Wed Nov 8, 2017
Thomasbowman, Home Buyer, North Port, FL
Tue Aug 9, 2016
I paid my money down never got the property class action !!!
Tue Aug 9, 2016
I paid my money down never got the property ...........
Tue Aug 9, 2016
Tue Aug 9, 2016
Tue Aug 9, 2016
I just experienced/ had issues with this company call me or email thomasbowman@sccoast.net 740-250-3206 Lets talk class action suite
Bk2158, Home Buyer, Birmingham, AL
Tue Jan 28, 2014
never ever buy real estate you have not looked at in person so that you know what you are getting. to do otherwise is just STUPID! I don't mean to sound cold hearted about it and I do feel for you, but you should have known better. you asked for what you got.
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Fri Jan 10, 2014
Yes, I know this question was posted FEB 1, 2012.

Unfortunately, there are countless vendors selling 'vapors' to real estate professionals whose business plan is 'direct billing." Once they have the credit card number, the business plan is to delay until the trial period expires. IT is shameful. Dragging these companies into the sunlight should be every consumers responsibility. Here in the world of agent politeness, playing patty-cake with these folks seems more acceptable than exposing them.
-
One responder on this thread stated, he buys coins on line because he know coins and can spot the predators who are selling vapor.
-
it befuddles me (not as hard to do as you might think) that anyone would buy REAL ESTATE from the TV and never ever see it. Even a expert real estate professional would NOT do that. Purchasing real estate is complex and can be a costly mistake when blundering through the process. I don't know if the VICTIM here deserves empathy. How many red flags were ignored in this action?
-
I know, the TV folks make it seem GUARANTEED. It is this 'smoke' that compels folks to flush their dollars when attempting to sell DIY or FSBO. Week after week after week, citizens add to their cost of selling by wasting their money because of TV promises.
-
It seems some folks are simply destined to be separated from their money. Are we to feel bad about this? If they didn't lose it this way, they will find another....such as RTO or lease/option.
-
Think of the long list of clearly stupid things people do, then cry about the consequence.
-
Our cry, regarding this question, only pertains to the suggestion injected by the questioner, that the real estate community is in any way connected to this. After all, he is asking real estate professional, NOT A PSYCHOLOGIST, for a solution or direction. We, feeling betrayed by association, want to be out raged. Seriously, attempting to buy real estate, on TV, and giving your credit card number.....you need to be calling a PSYCHOLOGIST! You problems are deeper and more complex than can be delt with on a Q & A session on the internet.
Wiseguy68, Home Buyer, North Port, FL
Mon Jul 29, 2013
Lehigh Acres is high drug and crime your buying as is and new paint hides alot for a short time
kinglafevers, , North Port, FL
Wed Mar 27, 2013
The people at AANtv Realty are Professional Real Estate Specialists. They are sellers agents...not buyers agents. They do not owe a buyer any fiduciary duty unless they act as a transaction brokerage for both seller and buyer. Buying real estate should not be an impulse buy. AANtv sells a ridiculous amount of real estate. If you have property that you need sold immediately...they are the people you call. The point is that you should have had an agent working in your interest. If you're in Washington or timbucktoo...call an agent in the area that the auction property is in and hire that agent to protect your interest prior to trying to bid on a property. The properties are pre-listed months before the auction so that people have time to a) hire an attorney/realtor and b) so that you may have the property appraised before the auction time or come and look upon it yourself. If I said that I was going deep sea fishing...you would presume that I was smart enough to take a boat rather than swim....the same goes for real estate...when I say I'm going to buy a home....one would hope I am smart enough to take a professional in my interest...
Danielle Sha…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Wed Feb 1, 2012
Sounds like it's time to contact a real estate attorney. Situations like these are exactly why working with a real estate professional is imperative.

I can't believe anyone buys anything from these guys. My wife and I watch the show for comedy value alone. The crappy music they play in the background, and watching Jeremiah slur, stumble and fall on tv is hilarious. One night his dog was drinking from the toilet when he was showing a home. Priceless entertainment.
Flag Wed Dec 23, 2015