I was to make settlement on a spec home in DE, however 5 days before settlement I had a fall that put me in a

Asked by H.c., Newtown Square, PA Thu May 14, 2009

hospital in ICU with Spinal Chord Injury paralysis and fusion surgery with recovery ongoing. Contract states default provisions for the builder to keep the money so the builder sold the spec house for less than they sold to us, and kept my 32K earnest deposit because I didn't settle on the date of settlement.They didn;t care about my horrific accident or the fact that I was hospitalized for 9 weeks beyond the settlement date. Can a Real Estate lawyer help me in obtaining any of my 32K deposit.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Ron Templeman’s answer
Ron Templeman, , Middletown, DE
Thu May 14, 2009
I would certainly contact an attorney if I were you. There may be provisiions in the contract that a good attorney could find to help you. In this day and age of financial sensitivity, you would think that the builder would be a little more considerate. I would also consider contacting a local news organization such as Channel 6 in Philly and maybe their consumer dept could take up your case. They have done wonders for others.
2 votes
Maggie Layne, , Virginia
Sun May 17, 2009
I know a great real estate lawyer who would probably be willing to help in some way-
He is very honest and upstanding.. I have never had one problem with him-and I have worked with many- having been in the mortgage business 9 yrs now..
His name is Jay Yoke and he is with The Atlantic Title Group. If you want his contact info, just send me an email.
If he can't help, he might at least refer you to someone who can.
I hope you get well quickly. I am very sorry about your accident.
1 vote
Renee Ross, Home Buyer, Millsboro, DE
Wed Sep 12, 2012
i was asking is there help for people that have bad credit in trying to buy mobile home
0 votes
Tori Weiss-H…, Agent, Dover, DE
Mon Jul 19, 2010
I would contact an attorney and make sure you have the agreement of sale as you more then likely signed a builders contract vs. the state wide agreement!

0 votes
Chris Kavana…, Agent, Bethany Beach, DE
Fri May 15, 2009
Dear H.C.,

That is a shame. I would definitely suggest contacting a real estate attorney. My wife and I moved to Delaware from Newtown Square in 2002.

Good luck,
Chris Kavanagh
Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage
Bethany Beach, DE 19930
0 votes
Jacqueline R…, Agent, Bear, DE
Thu May 14, 2009

Did you have a realtor? A realtor could have negotiated a longer settlement OR if need be advised you to get someone to be POA to close the sale.

You can contact a RE lawyer, but don't know what one can do for you at this point. Email me for the name of one who practices in DE.

This is very sad.
Web Reference:  http://www.jroark.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more