Laurie, Home Buyer in 60645

I was just wondering what zoned central air meant.

Asked by Laurie, 60645 Fri Feb 1, 2008

House listing info.

Answers

2
Tom McCarey, Agent, Chicago, IL
Fri Feb 1, 2008
Laurie,
Zoned simply means that the home has more than one furnace with associated central air compressor. Typically in a multi-story home you will have a furnace that covers lower level and main level with second similarly sized furnace (and central air component) that covers second and any additional floor. If I were to guess I would estimate that anything more than 3,000 square feet will benefit from zoned heating and cooling. One of my listings that just went under contract in Chicago's Bucktown community was a four level home with roughly 4415 square feet. It featured dual hvac with radiant heated floors on lower level.

I hope this answers your question.

Tom
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Fri Feb 1, 2008
Zoned central air, (or zoned heating) is a wonderful thing. Depending on the zones, you may be able to set the thermostat for one temperature in the den on the first floor, and an entirely different temperature on the second floor where the bedrooms are.

Or sometimes the zones are set up splitting the house east and west (west side which gets all that afternoon sun, might require a lower thermostatic setting in the summer, than the east side of the house.)

Very nice.