I want to purchase a home in the next 6-9 months. I have the income, but outside of that I just have no clue where to begin the process. Any ideas?

Asked by Renae Whitely, Atlanta, GA Mon Mar 24, 2014

Is there an average credit score I should shoot for?
Are there certain groups that work better with first time home buyers?

Answers

13
Alain Picard, Agent, Puyallup, WA
Mon Mar 24, 2014
You could either start with a lender or start with a real estate agent. If you start with a real estate agent they should be able to explain the whole home buying process to you and also help you find a lender.
Janell Carter, Agent, Atlanta GA 30018, GA
Tue Oct 20, 2015
Hi Renae! Sorry I am a bit late with my response. I would say start by contacting a local Realtor or lender first. Usually your Realtor will have a preferred lender that they trust, and have worked with previously. With the lender you will be able to figure out your budget, and just how much house you can afford to purchase. You would also be able to find out if you qualify for any down payment assistance programs in your area. I hope this helps. Buying your first home is very exciting be sure to take it all in and enjoy the process.

Janell Carter Realtor
Direct 678-791-8956
Office 404-355-2833
janellbye@gmail.com
http://www.janellcarter.com
Kola70, Home Buyer, Los Angeles, CA
Sun Oct 18, 2015
Several creditors will have minimum credit history needs along with are able to work ones credit score for you personally.
Five Stars M…, , Jacksonville, FL
Sat Oct 17, 2015
Start with the financing - you need to what programs you qualify for, and for how much.

Five Stars Mortgage
Georgia's Primary Home Loan Resource
7 days week - 9am-8pm
Ph: 800-871-2636
http://www.FiveStarsMortgage.com
Kathy Schell…, Agent, Plymouth, MA
Sun Oct 11, 2015
The first step is to sit down with a lender. Find out what your price range is and learn about the lending process. I would then recommend narrowing down the type of home and location in which you would like to buy, knowing your buying power. Get online and browse! Then start visiting open houses to learn the inventory and meet buyer agents unless you already have one or have a recommendation for one. Make sure it is someone you feel comfortable with. It is good to realize that most agents at an open house represent the seller at that home but could work with you as a buyer agent. They can help you understand the buying process represent you as you go forward. Best of luck
Jeri Patrick, Agent, Pooler, GA
Tue Sep 8, 2015
I would contact a local real estate agent and a local lender to start the process. Best of luck
Bravespellca…, Home Buyer, Alpharetta, GA
Sun Sep 6, 2015
My Wife divorce me for no reason, thanks to Dr Brave for bringing back my wife,and brought great joy to my family once again, My name is James Mack. i live in Italy, I`m happily married to a lovely and caring wife,with two kids A very big problem occurred in my family seven months ago,between me and my wife so terrible that she took the case to court for a divorce she said that she never wanted to stay with me again,and that she did not love me anymore So she packed out of my house and made me and my children passed through severe pain. I tried all my possible means to get her back,after much begging,but all to no avail and she confirmed it that she has made her decision,and she never wanted to see me again. So on one evening,as i was coming back from work,i met an old friend of mine who asked of my wife So i explained every thing to her,so she told me that the only way i can get my wife back,is to visit a spell caster,because it has really worked for her too So i never believed in spell,but i had no other choice,than to follow her advice. Then she gave me the email address of the spell caster whom she visited.(bravespellcaster@gmail.com}, So the next morning,i sent a mail to the address she gave to me,and the spell caster assured me that i will get my wife back the next day what an amazing statement!! I never believed,so he spoke with me,and told me everything that i need to do. Then the next morning, So surprisingly, my wife who did not call me for the past seven {7}months,gave me a call to inform me that she was coming back So Amazing!! So that was how she came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and she apologized for her mistake,and for the pain she caused me and my children. Then from that day,our relationship was now stronger than how it were before,by the help of a spell caster . So, i will advice you out there to kindly visit the same web site: http://lovespelltemple.weebly.com,if you are in any condition like this,or you have any problem related to "bringing your ex back. So thanks to Dr Brave for bringing back my wife,and brought great joy to my family once again.bravespellcaster@gmail.com, Thanks you Dr Brave, i will always be testifying about your good work.and for any questions call me {James Mack} on +393279282206.This spell is a 100% Guarantee for your situation.
Sun Sep 6, 2015
Solomon Gree…, Agent, Duluth, GA
Wed Mar 26, 2014
Hi Renae,

My response is a bit late, but I too wanted to answer some of the questions from your inquiry.

Opinions vary with regard to the starting point. Lenders often suggest that the first step in the process is having them pull your credit. Mine (a real estate agent - surprise, surprise) is that the first stop should be with a local real estate agent who will listen to you, understand your wants and needs and then provide a list of the right lenders, inspectors, and other resources with whom they've worked who help you manage uncertainty, manage expectations and get you safely to the closing table.

Need a potentially forgivable loan (interest and monthly payment-free, of course) for the down payment and closing costs? We know who participates in the right down payment assistance programs (http://www.AtlantaDownpaymentAssistance.com) and how those programs work.

Another good starting point would be a review of your credit report. Pull your own reports from the big three bureaus so that you can avoid the hard inquiry caused by a lender pull and ensure that everything is being reported accurately. You'll want to make the best presentation to the lender and six-to-nine months is plenty of time to confirm accuracy or make any needed adjustments.

Yet another good starting point would be a local home buying class. There are several HUD-certified home buying classes in the area, but you'll need to know the ones that are recognized by the home buying programs who offer those down payment assistance options. Again, that is where a good agent can be of assistance.

There's an infographic at the link below that provides a pathway to home ownership.

I'd welcome the opportunity to speak with you. When time permits, will you please call me at (678) 775-2677? You can also like Metro Atlanta Down Payment Assistance on Facebook to keep up with the frequent changes in local home buying programs and search for homes listed in the two MLS systems at http://www.TheAtlantaHomePages.com.

Either way, all my best for a successful home search.

Regards
Solomon Greene
Georgia Real Estate Brokers Associate
REALTORĀ®, Certified Affordable Housing Counselor
Keller Williams Realty Atlanta Partners
(678) 775-2677
Renae Whitely, Renter, Atlanta, GA
Wed Mar 26, 2014
Thank you everyone for your answers. This has been extremely helpful.
Kirsten Well…, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Mon Mar 24, 2014
Hi Renae,

There are some programs available in the Atlanta area. The FHLB grant gives $5000 to put with your $1000 for a down payment. There are others that offer grant funds to teachers/police officers/firemen.

I have worked with many first time home buyers in the Atlanta area. I strive to educate buyers and empower them to make necessary decisions along the way.

If I can help with getting started, please let me know.

Kirsten Wellborn
Garrett Realty
404-867-5662
kirstenwellborn@yahoo.com
Leigh Ann Ba…, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Mon Mar 24, 2014
Start with finding yourself a real estate agent to guide you through the entire home buying process. Most agents will tell you that the first and most important step would be to get prequalified with a mortgage lender. The prequalification process should answer your question regarding the credit score as they will check your credit to prequalify you. Best of luck!!
Ashlynn Sawy…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Virginia Beach, VA
Mon Mar 24, 2014
Renae - Various lenders will have minimum credit score requirements and will be able to run your credit report for you. I would suggest speaking with a few different lenders - all of which will look at your income, credit, ability to repay the loan, assets, current rental history, and other various factors that will help determine what you would be able to qualify for. Keep in mind that what the numbers say and what you're comfortable paying can sometimes be two separate things! Stay true to what you're comfortable with and work with someone who you feel you can truly trust. Feel free to talk to a few different loan officers/lenders. It is very typical for buyers to "shop" lenders for rate and for that "comfort" level that will be vital to your approval process.
Good luck and happy house hunting! It's an exciting process!!