I want to offer a fair market price on a home that hasn't been listed. How would I go about getting a fair price to offer without an agent?

Asked by Ccsmi250, Lehigh Valley, PA Mon May 7, 2012

Answers

7
Autumn Bragg, Agent, Bethlehem, PA
Mon Feb 4, 2013
Your best bet is to work with a real estate professional. They have direct access to local data and can supply you with the current and accurate information that you need in preparing a fair offer. In additional, they can guide you in considering what contingencies should be placed on the offer such as home inspections and the like. You wouldn't try to fix your car yourself unless you were a mechanic, so why try to price a home and make an offer, with out the asssistance of a realtor.
Deborah Gemm…, Agent, Whitehall, PA
Mon Jan 14, 2013
Why wouldn't you want to contract with a buyer agent, a person who will represent you throughout the transaction with the comparative market analysis, financing, inspections, settlement, etc., while it won't cost you a dime, and won't be subject to seller representation????? I'd love to hear your justifications....
Oscar Wild, Agent, 610 438 3777, PA
Mon May 7, 2012
An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field.

Niels Bohr (1885 - 1962)
Ian A. Wolf, Agent, Morristown, NJ
Mon May 7, 2012
That is tough. Sites like zillow may help a little but that is only one piece of a larger whole. Without an agent with the experience, training, and tools, to guide you, you will never really know if you are at the right price.

Exposure is important too. It is simple economics. Unless, you can get your home to the masses, you will not be able to get top dollar. More exposure, means more demand, means top dollar. There are transaction brokers who can give you some of that exposure on the MLS and sites like craigslist.com and postlets.com can help with the rest. However, you will need expert help to make sure it looks great everywhere and is everywhere it needs to be.

You will also need guidance with contract negotiation, home inspection issues, monitoring the buyers mortgage process. Those are just a few. Getting your price is one thing, getting successfully to closing is another. Mistakes can cost you thousands. Even though I am a Realtor myself, when I fix and sell homes I still use another Realtor. I find that the third party perspective, expertise, and guidance is priceless. That is not to say it can't be done successfully on one's own, but the statistics are against you. I recommend trying it on your own for a few months first and then find the best agent around if you aren't successful. You'll be glad you did.

Connie Mitch…, Agent, South Padre Island, TX
Mon May 7, 2012
I would still recommend utilizing a realtor to obtain all the available information that is accessible. Another good source would be to view county records from the appraisal district on recent sales of comparable homes in that area.
Ruth and Per…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Mon May 7, 2012
Go to web sites such as Trulia, Zillow, Realtor.com, etc.

and get the comparables and go from there.

Perry

http://www.trulia.com/blog/perry_mistry
Oscar Wild, Agent, 610 438 3777, PA
Mon May 7, 2012
The process of buying a house is complex, and most people do just a couple of deals in their life time. In real estate deals mistakes are very costly.

Every deal is unique due to people involved. You should never risk large sums to save small costs. In every transaction that I know paperwork flies around like an endless tornado, and it can be helpful to have someone familiar with the process to deal with it.

Other parts of the transaction are even more notorious to cause major hiccups -- hiring the right inspectors, negotiating over who pays for needed repairs, keeping up good relations with the sellers (through their agent) and more. All of this is second nature to an experienced agent. What's more, experienced real estate agents usually have contacts with good inspectors, mortgage loan brokers, and others who can make your buying process easier. And they know what's considered appropriate behavior and practice in your geographical area.

Unless you are buying 50 th property I would say it is not worth it going alone.