I want to make an offer on a house. Do I fill out a purchase contract or do I do an offer letter?

Asked by Newbie, Kennewick, WA Sat Oct 8, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Shawn Schwar…, Agent, Kennewick, WA
Tue Jan 15, 2013
First and most importantly you need representation!
you can choose a Realtor like myself or an attorney. If you need further assistance please feel free to contact me at 509-947-1708'
0 votes
You don't need some middleman. Call the selling agent yourself and print out and fill the form yourself. Don't pay two realtors a commission if you don't have to!
Flag Thu Jul 6, 2017
Jerry Smith, Agent, West Richland, WA
Tue Oct 11, 2011
Just a word to the wise.....do NOT attempt this process on your own. In residential sales, an "intent letter" is virtually worthless.....you do need a fully executed Purchase & Sale Contract between you and your seller. As such, an experienced Realtor who has kept current with all of our industry's standards, and who will have your best interests at heart, should be consulted. With over 32 years in the business, I believe I am well qualified to represent you and your best interests from start to finish. I hope to hear from you!

Jerry Smith, Broker/Owner
Tri-Star Real Estate LLC
4034-F W. Van Giesen St.
West Richland, WA 99353
PH: 509-967-1000
0 votes
Brandon Patt…, Agent, Richland, WA
Sun Oct 9, 2011
I am a Realtor in Richland and I would like to help you with this quistions but I think you should call me so I can get all of the details in your sitation.

Brandon Patton
0 votes
Jirius Isaac, Agent, Kenmore, WA
Sat Oct 8, 2011
Do not try & do this on your own! Would you rebuild an engine alone if you never did it before? Would you perform surgery on a friend of yours? Seriously, real estate transactions are so complex these days that I would only work with a broker or loan originator that had been in the business for 5 years minimum full time. Feel free to contact me if you want any help or just advice.
Web Reference:  http://www.metromgi.com
0 votes
Willie Stewa…, Agent, Kennewick, WA
Sat Oct 8, 2011
In the world of real estate, everything must be in writing. And upon an offer, it must state terms and conditions such as down payment, type of loan, what appliances stay with the home, etc. Plus you must put down earnest money. So Sellers will only accept a fully signed offer written on a contract for residential homes. A Letter of Intent is usually only used in a commercial setting. Hope this helps
Web Reference:  http://Www.DivineRealty.com
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sat Oct 8, 2011
If you are not working with an agent, it's really in your best interest to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate....if purchasing with a mortgage, be aware that a mortgage pre-approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously.
0 votes
Tonya Brobeck, , Everett, WA
Sat Oct 8, 2011
Why don't you have a Realtor working for you?
0 votes
Stacey Lange, Agent, Kirkland, WA
Sat Oct 8, 2011
Best agent in the Tri-Cities.....http://www.tri-citieshomesearch.com/agent-info.asp

She can point you in the right direction and assist you with every aspect
Web Reference:  http://www.key2yourhome.net
0 votes
Sally Grenier, Agent, Boulder, CO
Sat Oct 8, 2011
Scott is correct. You need to hire a Realtor to work for you as a Buyer's Agent. The agent is compensated through the listing brokerage firm & the seller, so it doesn't cost you anything. You could try to give yourself a root canal, but I wouldn't recommend it. You'd want to hire a professional for that, right? Same goes for real estate. This is likely the largest purchase of your life, and there are many issues at hand. If they aren't handled propertly, it will come back to haunt you.
0 votes
Kary Krismer, Agent, Renton, WA
Sat Oct 8, 2011
What you need to do is find either a real estate agent or a loan broker to help you. Whichever you find will almost certainly be able to refer you to someone in the other capacity (e.g. a loan broker will know a good real estate agent). Once you do that the next step is to obtain pre-approval for financing.

If you're asking such a basic question there's no way you can do this on your own. And if your thought is you will simply work through the listing agent, be aware that in Washington state they almost certainly will not be acting as a dual agent. They will continue to represent only the seller, leaving your interests totally unrepresented and anything you say unprotected by any type of privilege.
0 votes
Carol Perdew, Agent, Manteca, CA
Sat Oct 8, 2011

A written proposal is the foundation of a real estate transaction. Therefore, you need to enter into a written contract, which starts with your purchase offer. This proposal not only specifies price, but all the term and conditions of the purchase. There are a variety of standard forms used by agents and bound by both the law and local practice. After the offer is written and signed, it will be presented to the seller by your agent in the presence of the seller’s agent, or by the seller’s agent alone.

Carol Perdew
Prudential California Realty
(209) 239-7979
DRE 985176
0 votes
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Sat Oct 8, 2011
First you need to be prequailified for a mortagge as most offers require a prequailfication letter. Offers should be made in writing on a purchase and sales agreement. You shoudl have an agent guiding you trhough the process that can write the offer on your behalf.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Buying in Kennewick Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more