I want to make an offer on a foreclosure - how do I find a Realtor to help me?

Asked by Maralyne, 82520 Tue Jun 23, 2009

I am relocating and I've found a property online I would like to place an offer on but I've tried two different Realtors who are supposed to be "buyers agents." One didn't return my email or my phone call - I actually spoke to her on her cell phone and she said she was too busy to talk to me, I thought she meant at that moment but this was over a week ago so apparently she is too busy to talk to potential buyers period. I emailed another Realtor who has a great web site that is really informative but he passed me off to another agent who emails me other listings that I'm not interested in seeing in areas where I'm not interested in living. I know nothing about this agent, he did nothing to introduce himself to me or reassure me that he could help me, I have no idea if he is experienced working with out of town buyers or if he is fresh out of real estate school. The property I am most interested in wasn't in foreclosure when I found it online but now it is and I am perplexed. HELP!

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Jay Snyder, , 50312
Tue Jun 23, 2009
Hello Maralyne,

If you haven't already figured this out, I'd be happy to assist you. I'm not an expert in this particular location, but I'd be happy to get you in touch with Realtors who know this area inside out.

Jay Snyder
RE/MAX Real Estate Group
1 vote
Judy Wall, , Shrewsbury, NJ
Tue Jun 23, 2009
Dear Perplexed Maralyne:
You should try contacting the listing agent. If the house has gone into foreclosure, sometimes it is removed from the active MLS listings and therefore, some buyers agents may not know how to help you. Also, ask to speak to the "broker" at an agency in the Bloomfield-Allen area. I am sure they will be able to help you or give you some good advise! Good luck!
Judy Wall, Realtor Associate
Heritage House Sothebys International Realty
1 vote
Beccajaffe, , Olive Branch, MS
Tue Jun 23, 2009
Hi Maralyne, I am appalled to hear how badly these agents have treated you, but honestly it doesn't surprise me. As in any profession there are bad seeds out there. It's hard to know what you're getting when you start searching for an agent. On the same note, there are agents out there who are very busy this time of year, but that doesn't give them the right to blow you off.
Perhaps you can ask your family or friends if they have any recommendations as to an agent that has helped them in the past. Or, if you prefer an online method, my recommendation would be to visit http://www.localism.com. It's a buyer and seller website extension of Active Rain, a website for agents, brokers, and other people working in real estate. You can search by city or area. Trulia is also a great site as well to find homes in the area you are desiring. Best of luck to you!
Web Reference:  http://www.localism.com
1 vote
Maralyne, , 82520
Mon Aug 10, 2009
Hi Becky,
Bloomfield-Allen Township is the area around Ewing Park and Easter Lake, east of Indianola Road, in Des Moines. The property I wanted to make an offer on was located at 2200 Hart Avenue and I missed it. I did, however, use the services of Jay Snyder to buy a different foreclosed condo in the same area. Jay answered my question here on Trulia and was extremely helpful. I am currently living several states away and made a single trip to Des Moines to look at the property on July 2nd, wrote the offer on July 3rd and closed last Friday, August 7th. All of the paperwork was handled via fax, email and wire transfers. Once I get moved to Des Moines my plan is to buy some properties for rentals and I will use Jay Snyder again. I am so pleased that I have also recommended him to a friend. Thank you!
0 votes
Ruth Miller, , 50021
Wed Jun 24, 2009
Hi Maralyne,

If the house you are wanting is a foreclosure my best advice to you is contact a Real Estate office and request to speak with a Realtor who specializes in REOs (foreclosed) or Shortsales. I have represented buyers and sellers in shortsales and foreclosures and it takes special knowledge and attention to details to make this work.

If you are working with an agent in your hometown they can refer you to an agent in the town you are moving to and request an REO Specialist.

If you have already found the perfect agent I am very happy for you. There are agents that will give you 110% so don't get discouraged.

0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more