I want to know why these amazing home are so cheap?!!! The cost of these homes would only buy a SHACK where I live in Massachusetts!!!

Asked by Nicole Tongue, Boston, MA Thu Apr 11, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/22394337-101-Oakbend-Ct-Weath…

Answers

9
arduini-rae, Home Seller, Weatherford, TX
Mon May 20, 2013
I have a home in Virginia and unfortunately a home in Texas. The real esate taxes and the home owner's insurance is off the charts expensive. My house in Texas cost $340 and the real estate taxes are almost $7,000. The insurance is about $2,300 per year. So don't be enamoured by a cheap house. Yes, there is no state taxes but sales tax ranges from 8.5 to 10.25 cents per dollar. And the worst part of real estate in Texas is that when you go to sell it, you'll be lucky to get even 3/4 of what you paid for it. I'm trying to sell this $340K home and the real estate lady says I'm lucky to get $275K for it. The comparables in the neighborhood are very unequal. Some at $150K which brings your value down. My home in Virginia is $1M and I pay $9000 in real estate taxes. And not even close to $2K in insurance per year. And in about 10 years, I'll get $1.5 when I sell. Sales tax is .05 cents per dollar.
And beware of homes that aren't built on a pier foundation as the land in Texas shifts. I had to sign a waiver when I bought the house that I must water my foundation so the foundation doesn't crack.
Oh, & water bill in Virginia is about $300 every 3 months. Water in Texas is $300 per month, $60 per month even if you don't use any water.
You are exactly right. Home owners in Texas, should actually say TAX OWNERS. Impossible to retire here on fixed income due to a tax office out of control. 200 % increase on tax value, but not home value. Go figure !
Flag Wed Oct 23, 2013
Jjthegymnast, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Mon May 29, 2017
Maybe I'm just accustomed to large Texas houses but those linked houses are tiny!! What's the square footage I didn't see? More land in Texas. My home is a tiny bit over 5000 square feet and 1.2 acres about. Any links to similarly priced Mass homes?
I am from the New York City area - not Texas. However as a retired realtor I can educate you on the cost of housing and living in different states. You need to understand that the cost of housing in southern states and the Midwest is not the same as states along the Pacific Coast and Atlantic coast. Square footage wise, you get a lot less house for more money than you would pay in Texas. The reason is there is strong demand and employment opportunities to live near major cities like San Francisco, Seattle, New York City, Boston, etc. so people will pay premium prices to live near these cities. This makes housing very expensive because the size of the homes is tiny.
Flag Mon May 29, 2017
And I'm not sure why it says I'm from NY. I'm a Texan. Also, for those who say their Tx homes will lose money if sold, it's just the neighborhood. My current home is custom built and I bought it last summer. By the next 5 years, it will have gained 57% in value.
Flag Mon May 29, 2017
Garland Greoh, Renter, Fort Worth, TX
Fri Oct 25, 2013
High Property Taxes that's why.
This Tax office is going after more too.

http://parkercountyblog.com/2013/03/29/are-you-taxed-enough-…
Debbie Copel…, Agent, Fort Worth, TX
Sat Sep 14, 2013
Texas is a great place to live, the cost of living is lower MA, and so everything is less expensive here.
don_coulter2, Home Owner, Weatherford, TX
Sat May 11, 2013
Maybe you should ask the question to your politicians. You can buy a nice 5 yr old 2200 sq ft house for $160-190,000 and pay about $4-5000 per year in property taxes. Utilities and Heat/Air Cond run about $250-300 per month and we get 1 or 2 snowstorms per winter. Texas has no state income tax and is growing - contrary to California and New York. Perhaps the Republicans have a better plan for running a state.

Unemployment is low so if you can tear yourself away from Cape Cod and the big city, check out Texas. Just stay away from Dallas which is a traffic hell, unless you can work in the suburbs.
It's hard to say Republicans have a "better plan for running a state." For the past few years, California's economy has been growing faster than Texas, California has a higher GDP per capita at ppp, and people in California live years longer than people in Texas. Furthermore, on the American human development index, Texas ranks below average for the US while California ranks above average and Texas has about 40% of all of Americas minimum wage workers in the US. Would you say Republicans "have a better plan" for running Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Alabama? The most Republican parts of the country are undeveloped and mired in poverty, while the most liberal tend to be the most developed and richest, such as California, Massachusetts, and Connecticut.
Flag Sun May 21, 2017
Sat May 11, 2013

California is run by Democrats and it has been able to become the 6th largest economy in the world. Texas doesn't even come close.
Flag Mon Dec 18, 2017
lol Connecticut has lost two major companies because people are migrating away from liberal states. The cost of living and taxes are too high. Supplemental poverty rate proves that.
Flag Fri Jun 2, 2017
, ,
Thu Apr 11, 2013
Nicole:
1. We have land.... So we can build homes without tearing down another home.... So we have inventory.
2. Homes are cheap..... But property taxes are high.... but we have no (state)income taxes
3. Texas ROCKS!!!!!!
Nicole, education solely depends on neighborhood. I hve friends from Mass and they said a "bad" neighborhood their is actually dangerous, whereas here or at least in my area's opinion, a "bad" neighborhood is just somewhere where people don't make much money. Usually when you go to an upper middle class Texas neighborhood, education is great and the kids are truly good kids.
Flag Mon May 29, 2017
What is your idea of high property taxes? Why are they so high if you have so much land? Is the dispersion of industrial taxes not so strong in this area?
Flag Thu Apr 11, 2013
But what are the school systems like?
Flag Thu Apr 11, 2013
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Thu Apr 11, 2013
Why people all over the country has discovered Texas compared to other States less expensive for cost of housing. Come on down move to Dallas !

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com 100's of Dallas homes listed for sale or lease

Follow me on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/lynn911dallas
Are the school systems any good?
Flag Thu Apr 11, 2013
Jonathan King, Agent, Dallas, TX
Thu Apr 11, 2013
Welcome to Texas where you can buy a castle for the price of a shack in other states! It has always been this way as land is cheaper and homes here are more protected from foreclosure or bankruptcy unlike in other states where you can lose them if you are in bankruptcy!
I bought a house I could afford until the tax appraisers payment was as much as my house payment. Texas may protect your home from foreclosure or bankruptcy , but they will SELL your property for back taxes in no time at all for back taxes after a year....
Flag Fri Oct 25, 2013