I want to buy a house with cash in Texas. I have an abstract of judgement against me. Can they take my house as soon as I buy it or force me to sell?

Asked by Julie Chasteen, Dallas, TX Mon Sep 23, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


B&G Properti…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Sep 23, 2013

Hi! You may want to get with an attorney to clarify your legal matters. You may be able to purchase under an LLC.

Here are a couple of suggestions.

Lione & Lee (RE litigation)
3921 Steck

Hancock & McGill
Don Hancock & John McGill

I work with cash buyers and I am born and raised in Austin, Texas. Please give me a call when you are ready!

Best wishes,
Melissa Galvan, Austin native and Realtor
Keller Williams Realty
1 vote
Both 512 Area codes by the way.
Flag Mon Sep 23, 2013
Susie Kay, Agent, Dallas, TX
Tue Sep 24, 2013
Consult with a real estate attorney or two.

Good luck!

Susie Kay, Realtor®
United Real Estate
III Lincoln Centre, 5430 LBJ Freeway #280
Dallas, TX 78240


Servicing your real estate need is my priority!
0 votes
JOSEPH E JAR…, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Sep 24, 2013
Julie, I think the answer to your question is yes but you need to consult with a real estate attorney to know for sure. If you cannot find one, feel free to contact me and I will see what I can do about connecting you with one.

Also, I do help buyers like you if you are looking in the greater Austin area. It says you're looking in Grand Prairie Texas, and I don't work out in that area, but I do have an agent or two I can recommend to you. Either way, let me know if I can be of any assistance. I am one of the top agents in the greater Austin area and would be happy to help! Joe

Joe Jarusinsky, Realtor/Master Instructor, Keller Williams Realty, Austin's #1 Real Estate Company, Call 512-261-4415
0 votes
Hayat Shaban, Agent, Cedar Park, TX
Mon Sep 23, 2013
The only one can give you the right answer, is an attorney. I wish you the best of luck. let me know if I can help you in finding your home here in Austin. Good Luck!

Hayat Shaban
0 votes
Don Groff, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Sep 23, 2013
Talk with an attorney. Most likely the title company and lender you are using will require you to take care of the AJ before you are able to close on your home purchase. Lenders do not want potential issues on title so you will need to address it before you are able to buy something.

Hope this helps.

Don Groff | REALTOR® & Mortgage Broker
Austin Real Estate Pros & 360 Lending Group
o 512.669.5599 | m 512.633.4157 | listings@dongroff.com
websites: http://www.AustinListed.com | http://www.360LendingGroup.com
Web Reference:  http://www.AustinListed.com
0 votes
Perry Hender…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Sep 23, 2013
When you talk to the attorney, make sure you ask how "homesteading" protects you.
0 votes
Cathy Douglas, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Sep 23, 2013

To reiterate what several others have said, you would need to contact an attorney to give you the best advice. It's my experience that having the property in an LLC protects it from an A.J.. Should you need further direction, feel free to give me a call.


0 votes
Shannon Black, Agent, Pflugerville, TX
Mon Sep 23, 2013
Realtor's are not attorneys and we can't "act" as though, so as a Realtor I can't answer this, nor should any other licensed Realtors offer any "guidance". Your guidance should be an Attorney ONLY. I can say that if I were looking to invest, Texas is fantastic market to do so. I can also say that if a person were to set up a LLC (Limited Liability Corporation) to purchase a home in Texas, then that "person" would not be the owner of said home that was purchased. The LLC would own the home. This is a general statement only and not an absolute. Call an Attorney!
0 votes
Russ Colliau, Agent, Austin, CA
Mon Sep 23, 2013
Good Afternoon Julie. When properly structured, with correct state documentation, your property will be protected. I've helped another with a similar situation purchase in the last 6 months. Feel free to call me on my personal cell at 512 910-0560 and i can help and guide you.
0 votes
Carlos Arana, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Sep 23, 2013
You should talk to an attorney to be sure, but you may be able to purchase a house under an LLC or separate business entity. Let me know if you could use any more help.
0 votes
Steven Nusin…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Sep 23, 2013
You should contact an escrow officer or attorney, but I think the issue will arise if you ever sell.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more