I want to buy a house that is not listed for sale, how can this be done

Asked by Gary Seabridge, Flint, MI Tue Oct 7, 2008

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


David Cortez, Agent, White Plains, NY
Mon Nov 19, 2012

I would approach the homeowner either through a hand written note that expresses your interest in their home. The idea is to appeal to their emotional core, after all they may not be in financial distress but emotionally they may want the home to go to someone who loves the areas as much as they did when they purchased it.
0 votes
Sylvia Barry,…, Agent, Marin, CA
Tue Oct 7, 2008
Absolutely. You can knock on the door and come up with an agreement with the seller just like Tom said; but It might be prudent for you to get a Realtor to assist you with the exchange to make sure all angles are covered.

0 votes
Thomas McGiv…, Agent, Farmingville, NY
Tue Oct 7, 2008

So you just want to buy a property that is not for sale - at all. I would think that you could go knock on the door.
0 votes
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Tue Oct 7, 2008
It sounds to me like you need to discuss your plans with a sharp Realtor. You can do what you ask.

A Realtor can write an purchase offer, however, I would caution that just because one CAN write an offer, getting it accepted is another issue. The great thing about working with a Realtor is that they will know the local market and the history of that property.

It would have been that the property was actually listed for sale and it failed to sell (expired listing), it could be that it is in fact FOR SALE but there is no sign and it is not in any system other than the MLS.

You know that saying, you only have one chance to make a first impression, so having a professional to represent you in a way that will help you determine if there is truly a way to accomplish your goal.

If you need a referral of a top Realtor in Flint please let me know, I would be honored to provide you with a reference.
0 votes
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Tue Oct 7, 2008
If the home is not a foreclosure forward a note property owner expressing your interest in purchasing the home. I would be careful regarding any authored statements therefore would not make you appear to be a thief of any kind. Good luck.
Web Reference:  http://www.lynn911.com
0 votes
Jon Griffith, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Tue Oct 7, 2008
Well, you can simply make an offer and come to an agreement with the owner. Without representation, you'll be exposed to all sorts of challenges and potential legal problems, but it can be done.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more