I want to buy a house. I am filing chapter 7 and would like to do the rent to own, Who can I go though with this that is not a scam

Asked by tammysbiz79, Los Angeles, CA Mon May 20, 2013

Answers

5
Terry Farnsw…, Agent, Lisle, IL
Tue May 21, 2013
Rent to own is not typically a scam (although like anything that involves money, it CAN be), it's just a really bad deal for a buyer. These deals are one-sided in favor of the seller, don't provide you a lot of benefit, and leave you assuming a ton of additional risk for a substantial cost - as compared to a traditional lease.

Lease to own homes are laden with pitfalls for the buyer. They are not an easy way to buy a home without having the sufficient credit, income, and down payment to do so, as most people seem to believe. Here are some reasons why they are a monumentally bad idea:

1. You'll still have to typically come up with a lump sum (essentially a down payment) or "option" to enter into the agreement. This is due upfront and is usually a percentage of the purchase price. Plan on a certain percentage of the purchase price (1-2%), which can amount to thousands depending on the price of the home.

2. You'll agree on a date when you'll have to exercise the option to buy. Let's say 2 years from now. At that time, you'll still have to qualify for a loan, and have sufficient down payment.

3. If you pay the rent late even once, the seller typically reserves the right to keep everything and void the deal.

4. How do you know the price you negotiate down the road will still be a good deal when it comes time to actually purchase the property? Will you qualify for the financing then? Will it appraise out?

5. You'll be responsible for the upkeep of the property throughout the life of the lease. If the furnace goes out, you'll have to fix it. Same for the roof, plumbing, and everything else. Remember, this is for all intents and purposes now "your" house.

Violate any of the above terms and the seller keeps everything you gave them upfront, and also all of the money credited towards your down payment from each month.

Too much risk, too much money, and too much uncertainty about what your situation or finances will be too far down the road in the future, in my humble opinion.

Hope this helps!

Terry Farnsworth
Licensed Broker
Prospect Equities Premier http://www.SelectiveBuyer.com
Ron Escobar -…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Tue May 21, 2013
You probably not going to find rent to own unless is a scam.
Trust your instinct. I you were a seller, why would you want to sell that way, when there are hundreds of people over-bidding for properties everywhere.
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Tue May 21, 2013
Dear Tammy,
That's great that you would like to buy a home. The first step would be to talk to your bank about getting a Pre-Approval for a loan. The loan officer will explain the loan process and give you guidance. In my experience "rent-to-own" has been impossible to find in my area of Los Angeles.
carlos parra…, Other Pro, Monrovia, CA
Tue May 21, 2013
The first thing you have to do is find someone who wants to sell in this manner. That might be difficult. Your best bet is to work with a qualified agent
tammysbiz79, Home Buyer, Los Angeles, CA
Mon May 20, 2013
I will be moving to the LA area in a few months. I do not really want to rent do the fact that I have a dog and a lot of places do not allow large dogs or they are apartment buildings.