I want to back out of a short sale. Will I lose my down payment? They have taken 7 months and have yet to accept or reject the offer.

Asked by Mikee78, 33018 Tue Apr 13, 2010

Answers

7
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Tue Apr 13, 2010
Not knowing what your contract states--review the contract in it's entirety as it may have expired by now--and you may wish to consult with an attorney to review all documentation beforehand--but what is your agent advising--he/she is your best source of information.
Michael Genn…, Agent, Media, PA
Tue Apr 13, 2010
Hello Mikee78!

Without seeing the agreement of sale and the details therein, it really is hard to say. Generally there should be some type of "Seller Response Date" that requires the seller to accept the offer in writing by that date. If the seller has not indicated their acceptance of the offer in writing by that date then you would have no further obligation to stay in the transaction and incur no penalty. I don't know what state you are in, but in PA the deposit check is not deposited until there is acceptance by the seller in writing. In this instance the uncashed check would have been given back to you. Check with your agent, if you have one, in regard to the specific guidlines of your state. If you want to back out most certainly do it in writing and be sure to sign and and date it.

You can always reach me here or at my website at http://www.HomesInDelco.com

Hope this helps and feel free to email back!

Michael P. Gennett, REALTOR®, SRES®
Search ALL Homes on your Cell Phone! It's Free! Text HOME123 to 87778 or click HERE!
New Tax Credit Available now $8000 First time buyer / $6500 home owner!

Ask me for details-Tax Credit Ends Soon!

Over 14 years of Experience!
By the way, I'm never too busy for your referrals!
Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc.
1055 E Baltimore Pike
Media PA 19063
Cell & Text Anytime! (610) 580-6365
Office (610) 892-8300 x8059
Fax 1-888-241-6093
Skype Video Call me Free! michael.gennett
Click for my Facebook>: Michael Gennett
MichaelG@LNF.com
http://www.HomesInDelco.com
Also Licensed Real Estate Broker in FLORIDA!
PA LIC# RS212545L
FL LIC # BK3104005
Dave Griswol…, Agent, Bridgewater, NJ
Tue Apr 13, 2010
if they haven't accepted or rejected you down payment should be refunded. We suggest you contact your Realtor and recind your offer. Make sure it's in writing as well as verbal. Shouldn't be any issues.
all the best
Dave & LIsa
Web Reference:  http://www.urhomerealty.net
Steve Vennem…, Agent, Pine Springs, MN
Mon Dec 26, 2011
It depends on your contract but usually the realtor if you had one puts in their that you can back out if you choose to. Most states also have a short sale form you signed you should read if you signed one with the purchase agreement..Call your realtor they can tell you more.
Mikel DeFran…, Agent, Canton, MA
Mon Dec 26, 2011
Mike,

As discussed... you and/or your attorney need to review the exact terms of the offer, but it's unlikely you would have been advised to sign a contract that would keep you bound for such a long period of time. Have you been signing extensions, are you out of contract? Have you asked the selling side what the heck is taking so long?
Roland Vinya…, Agent, Sprakers, NY
Mon Dec 26, 2011
A contract is binding when it has properly affixed the signatures of both buyer and seller. On the surface of your questions it would appear that it is not a binding contract and that you can get your money returned. But it may not be so simple, especially when a third party bank is involved. I would feel more comfortable if you could get advice from an attorney who has the contract in his hand to review.
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Mon Dec 26, 2011
mike first thing is teh seller needs to accept or reject your offer. once they do it is then submitte dto the sellers bank for short sale approval. 7 months is a bit lengthy as the average approval is down to 3 months. if the seller did not sign your offer you do not have a contract. If they did...Hopfully you made it contingent upon the sellers banks approval and can withdraw base don it. your agent should be guiding you through the process.
Web Reference:  http://www.ScottSellsNH.com