I want a 3BR home within 30 min of Lexington MA,great schools,and a price of $280K or less. Town suggestions?

Asked by W Hungerford, Connecticut Tue Nov 18, 2008

Answers

6
Michael Pres…, , Worcester County, MA
Sun Jan 11, 2009
Agree with Scott regarding the schools, plus what you think is a great school can certainly differ from anyone elses, it all depends upon your needs and your criteria.

As for w/in 30 minutes of Lexington- there are so many options to look at. May I suggest checking theses sites that give map based searches and give you an idea of how close the are to Lexington and give you price ranges to meet your needs:

Check out the following:

http://www.virtualhomes.com

http://www.virtualhomesmls.com

Good luck in your search

Michael Prescott
RE/MAX Innovations
Serving Blackstone Valley and Worcester Counties
mprescott@relocationma.com
877-266-9747
Scott A. Nel…, , 02155
Wed Nov 19, 2008
My first question would be, what qualities make a school great in your opinion? Real estate agents aren't qualified to evaluate a schools qualifications. You'd have to consult the Mass Dept. of Education website for school qualifications and make your decsions from there, there are also alot of 3rd party school rating websites out there also.

Next comes finding a 3 bedroom home within 30 minutes of Lexington and especially a low price of $280K or less. There are fewer options out there with such a low price. Give your parameters you will probably have to compromise either home size, school ranking or other features.

Now the good news, given the current market, now is actually a great time to actually find such a home. Just a year or 2 ago those parameters might have been an tall order. In my opinion and perhaps a personal bias take a look at Medford. You could also look into Woburn, Reading, Stoneham, Billerica, Burlington, Waltham etc. Finally in other states 30 minutes drive can cover quite a distance, here in the Greater Boston area that can be a very short distance due to traffic, road conditions, weather and Massachusetts drivers.

Good luck in your search, it'll be great to have you as neighbors :)
Web Reference:  http://www.MedfordHouse.com
Straight Up…, , Lexington, MA
Tue Jun 16, 2009
You are on crack if you think you can get a house for this price in Lexington orther than a crap condo. Good luck. Your kids will feel like the poorest kids in town and will suffer for the rest of their lives with self-esteem issues and pursuit of materialism as a result. Local therapist
Deb Nicholls, Agent, Concord, MA
Sat Jan 10, 2009
Good answers, especially Scott's. You might also add lot size (do you want a big yard?) and proximity to Boston (is this important?) to your list of criteria.

Other towns to consider: Littleton, Chelmsford, and Westford (may or may not meet the 30 minutes requirement depending on where you are in Westford).

Deb

Deb Nicholls Realtor®, ABR, LMC, e-PRO
Keller Williams Realty Boston North West
Direct/FAX: 978-429-4036
Web Reference:  http://homes.DebN.net
..., , Lexington, MA
Fri Nov 21, 2008
Hi

Hi Henry

Congratulations on entering the housing market at a great time - when both prices and rates are low. I can help you with your financing questions.

You didn't mention your income, but check with the housing authority in the towns in which you're interested for requirements to qualify for a below-market priced housing lottery. An alternative would be to find a buyer's broker who does a lot of foreclosure work - I have suggestions if you wish - besides, what you need to address questions such as property values is a relationship with a real estate agent and a buyer's agent would be ideal. Let me know if you need help with that.

Tom Stevens
Eagle Nationwide Mortgage, Natick, MA
Thomas.Stevens@ENMCdirect.com
phone 888-4-1-lowrate x 25 (888-415-6972 x 25)
TomStevensMortgageConsulting.com
Julie Duncan, Agent, Lexington, MA
Thu Nov 20, 2008
As a Lexington agent for many years (22!), I have helped many people find a home within 30 minutes of Lexington. As Scott mentioned below, because of the density of housing west of Boston, so much depends on the time of day you are travelling.

I did a quick review of the multiple listing service for this area & found 30+ properties that could potentially work for you. Your best bet would be to find a Buyer's Agent who really know this area that can set you up to recieve listings that might meet your requirements. A ot of my business is with relocating families - very different from working with people who know the area. If you would like to talk with me about how I could help you please go to the website below and you can text me your contact information.

It is a great time to buy - as long as you do not have a property to sell!

Hope to hear from you,

Julie Duncan