I`ve looked at a re-sale in Westland, what involves getting it repaired? It needs carpet,tile,plumbing

Asked by Jj, Michigan Wed Apr 16, 2008

fixed, and some drywall repair. What repairs can I do myself?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Dante, , 48170
Thu May 1, 2008
The city of Westland requires that all homes transfering ownership be inspected and brought up to code to comply with ordinance and for obtaining a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O). Depending on the work involved, permits might need to be pulled by licensed contractors for things like plumbing or electrical work. It sounds more involved than what it is but your realtor should know these things. If you don't have one, you might want to consider calling me. I have 12 years experience selling in a Westland office.
1 vote
Jj, Home Buyer, Michigan
Thu Apr 17, 2008
Thanks again Gary for the links.........my husband is a construction worker..I know we will need permits for Plumbing and Electrical as far as that Im not sure of anything else again thank you for the links
0 votes
smith3gary, Agent, White Lake, MI
Thu Apr 17, 2008
Jj, The City of Westland has information online about their permit requirements. http://ci.westland.mi.us/services/building.php

I suggest reading the information carefully including the required inspection for occupancy before making repairs yourself.

Please make sure you get a home inspection. When interviewing inspectors, I always suggest to my customers that they have some type of construction experience. There are two websites for inspectors.
Web Reference:  http://www.mi-living.com
0 votes
Gordon Johns…, Agent, Plymouth, MI
Thu Apr 17, 2008
The answers below are correct, you can do all of these repairs yourself. The one thing not mentioned in the previous answers that you need to consider is that lenders are getting much tougher on approving loans for homes that need repairs. When the lender sends out an appraiser to place a value on the home, if the appraiser notes that there are repairs needed (not just decorating) the lender may have additional requirements that need to be met. You may be required to place enough funds in escrow to cover the cost of repairs and I have seen in some cases the lender requiring an amount of 1-1/2 times the funds needed to take care of the repairs.

Good Luck

Web Reference:  http://www.MInextHome.com
0 votes
Michelle Gor…, Agent, East Grand Rapids, MI
Thu Apr 17, 2008
Good morning JJ,

Missy is right. I just want to add, do it your self if you know how. I can not tell how many homes I show that the owner "did it themselves" and it shows! : ) therefore the house sits on the market. some people do a really good job, and some give a really good try!
0 votes
Missy Caulk, Agent, Saline, MI
Thu Apr 17, 2008
You can do it all, just pull a permit at Westland City for the plumbing. Not sure about drywall. But, carpet, paing, tile you do not need a permit for.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more