Cyndy, Home Buyer in Ocean Grove, NJ

I understand that the Camp Meeting Association owns all the land in Ocean Grove. If that is the case, why do you show lots for sale?

Asked by Cyndy, Ocean Grove, NJ Wed Mar 7, 2012

Answers

5
Heather, Home Owner, Ocean Grove, NJ
Tue Mar 13, 2012
Hello Cyndy, I have lived in Ocean Grove for over 10 years. There is a real feeling of community here and I love it. We can also walk downtown to many stores, to the beach, and to the nearby towns of Asbury Park and Bradley Beach, where there is also a lot going on. The "ground rent" paid to the Camp Meeting Association for me is only $10 a year. As was mentioned, we do have to pay property taxes to the township of Neptune as well. Neptune runs the school system, library, garbage pickup, and the police force. (Ocean Grove used to be a separate town but Neptune took them over around 1980.) The Camp Meeting Association does not have much to do with day-to-day life of my home, unlike a regular landlord would. Hope you decide to buy a house in our beautiful town.
Jenifer Green…, Agent, Spring Lake, NJ
Wed Mar 7, 2012
Hi Cyndy,

All of Ocean Grove is owned by the Camp Meeting Association. This means that land and homes are bought through a lease hold deed. Meaning you have all of the same rights that you would have if you were to own the land out right. Basically, you have a 99 year lease with the camp meeting. This lease can be passed down to your heirs, when the lease is passed down the lease is started at day one again. The lease hold is a way for the camp meeting to collect ground rent. The ground rent can vary depending upon the type of property you own. Older homes tend to have a minimal amount of ground rent ($25 a year). Condos and new construction may be susceptible to paying more. The money collected goes towards paying for all the activities that the camp meeting is involved in. Such as preservation of Historic Land marks owned by the camp meeting such as The Great Atrium, Grove Hall and Thornily Chapel. By keeping the integrity of the town, the Camp Meeting keeps the town special. Most people that are a part of the community in Ocean Grove consider this historic town to be unique to any other towns at the jersey shore. Ocean Grove creates an old world atmosphere because it is a historic victorian beach town that is dry (we have no bars, BYOB in most restaurants) and we have lease hold deeds. Because of the small town feel that Ocean Grove has, it has become one of the most sought after beach towns on the Jersey Shore.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Jenifer Green Grigg
201.742.3533
Sales Associate
Jack Green Realty
Ocean Grove
jeniferg@jackgreenrealty.com
Cyndy, Home Buyer, Ocean Grove, NJ
Thu Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for all of your responses. I love being in Ocean Grove and now that I know that the land being owned by CMA is not an issue, my husband and I will look to see what is available.
Francesca Pa…, Agent, Manasquan, NJ
Wed Mar 7, 2012
Cyndy,

As indicated below, while the Camp Meeting Association owns the land, you lease it from them for a nominal amount. It is unusual, but the lease amount is typically $100 or so per year. Really not a big deal.

Francesca Patrizio, Broker Sales Associate, ePro, SRES
Gloria Nilson Reators, Real Living
Francesca@PatrizioRE.com
732.606.2931 (Direct/Cell)
Web Reference:  http://www.PatrizioRE.com
Why would you write about something that you don't really know the answer to? I have been a resident for 15 years, owning two different homes in that period of time. The annual rent paid to the CMA is $10.00 a year, not $100. If you don't know, don't say anything.
Flag Tue Sep 30, 2014
Keith Radhub…, Agent, Holmdel, NJ
Wed Mar 7, 2012
Hi, Cyndy,

Ground leases for residential properties are a very unsual. There are no 'standard' MLS categories to reflect that condition of ownership, hence, the lots "for sale." Technically, was is owned are the IMPROVEMENTS on the lot. In practice, the RENEWABLE 99-year leases, (whose right to renew can be passed along), allow the homeowner to 'control' that lot, just as a restaurant would control a highway side pad with a 20 year ground lease.

Although the Camp Meeting Association 'owns' the land, you can bet Neptune Township will be happily collecting your property taxes. As I said, it's an unusual situation that's a holdover from the 19th century. It shouldn't effect your love of the town and any decision about home ownership there.

Keith Radhuber (former Grove owner, and current lister)
Broker Associate