I signed Missouri’s “Exhibit G: Cooperating Agent Registration Form” believing it simply stated that my

Asked by Scott, Rowell Mon Jul 28, 2008

Agent assisted me in the purchase of my house and didn’t give it much attention. This form certifies among other things that “The Agent must have personally introduced Purchaser (me) to the Residence” and “Purchaser...must not have had any contact...prior to this registration.” However, I did have prior contact with this subdivision and its salesperson. Could the agent lose her commission?

Answers

2
Dale Weir, Agent, Chesterfield, MO
Mon Jul 28, 2008
OK, let me explain something to you, most salespersons at the builder's developments are not realtors, they are paid salespeople. A few are realtors. Now whether they are realtors or salespeople, they are typically paid a flat fee for handling the deals that come in. A very few are paid a commission based on the buyers side, most are paid based on being the builder's rep. The builders are quite willing to pay a commission to the realtors who are working with the buyers, since the Realtors bring them the majority of their business. The rules for the form that you signed are really based on some people who "took advantage" of the situation - they would wait until a buyer had figured out with the builders rep what they were going to buy, then suddenly convince the buyer to let them represent the buyer to get the commision, but they would NEVER be there when anything happened to earn their money. Now a buyers rep who is working with a buyer who is buying new construction doesn't just sit back and wait to get paid, they should be there with you when you go to the meeting about the home with the builder, when you have your periodic reviews with the superintendent and the salesperson, when you talk to the design team about your finishes, when you talk to the different subcontractors about your flooring, lighting, siding, roof and other choices. They should be there with you at all the way along. They may have missed being with you when you first walked into the development, but were they there with you when you wrote the initial contract? Were they with you when you chose your finishes? How about at closing? If they were there and were invovled, the builder will not think twice about paying them. By the way, if the builder doesn't pay them, the sales rep doesn' t get more money, instead the money typically goes into/stays in the builders marketing budget since marketing to the Realtors is a big cost to the builder. I've had clients who walked into a development without me, decided they were interested in it, then brought me back before they did any paperwork with the builder and it was fine. The main thing is that the builder wants to make sure that the Realtor is really involved and isn't just taking their money and not doing anything. Did you tell the sales rep when you first signed in and filled out any paperwork that you were using an agent? If so that covers your agent as well.
Web Reference:  http://www.yourstlhome.com
Elizabeth Gi…, Agent, MO,
Mon Jul 28, 2008
Typically, if everyone wants to play nice and get paid, your agent will agree to pay a referral fee to the subdivision agent since the subdivision agent did already introduce you to the home.