I seem to be doing all the foot work in searching for a home then bringing the home to my realtors attention. Do really need a realtor?

Asked by Sarah Whitfield, Queens, NY Wed May 22, 2013

Answers

13
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Wed May 22, 2013
Have you considered expressing your concerns with your agent...if you are unsatified, have you considered another, not all agents are created equal.
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Wed May 22, 2013
The "footwork" is one of the things your Realtor does for you; just one.
Isn't that valuable?
They have access to a lot more houses than you do; and they can filter out the undesirables.
Consider it.
Keith Simon, Agent, New York, NY
Thu May 23, 2013
Sarah, if you are doing all the work I will ask myself the very same question? However, a professional Realtor will sit with you and work out a plan which will meet your needs. I will be honored to have such a meeting with you so together we can achieve the results which meet your satisfaction. Please contact me.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu May 23, 2013
- if i dont need an agent then why would i want one by my side?

Maybe because you read selectively?

Sarah, whether you use an agent or not is of no concern to me. You asked if you need one, and my answer is - you don't need one to look at pictures of houses on the internet.

Since I don't know your specific situation, I cannot suggest what specific benefit an agent would provide you, but at the risk of quoting myself, I stand by the statement that most people prefer to make the journey from the internet into a home with an agent on their side.
Fajardo Dela…, Agent, Flushing, NY
Wed May 22, 2013
If you are in need of an agent that is for more work, please feel free to call me.
Fajardo Delacruz
347 932-0609
Robert DiAlb…, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Wed May 22, 2013
A good Realtor is your best asset. Discuss your concerns with your Realtor and if you are still not satisfied, find another one.
Anu Dutta, Agent, Forest Hills, NY
Wed May 22, 2013
If you're doing most of the work you think then maybe either you don't need an agent or you need to change this one.
Arlene Conti, Agent, Howard Beach, NY
Wed May 22, 2013
There's nothing wrong with you being pro-active but if your realtor has access to MLS, then he/she should be letting you know what's available. If you see a For Sale sign in front of a house, you can call the listing agent directly. If you are not satisfied with your agent, then look for another one who you feel you can work with.
so if i find a home and i contact the listing agent. Theres no need for me to get my realtor involved?
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Javier Menes…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Melville, NY
Wed May 22, 2013
Sarah, I would say you definitely need a Realtor. These days it's extremely common for buyers to find houses online or just driving around and provide their Realtor with the info so they can schedule to achie you the house. In fact, I know some buyers prefer to either find a property or have their agents send then homes that fit what they're lookin for and the buyers drive by te house before they let their agent know if try want to view it or not. Just because you're finding some houses I line or wherever for your agent to show you, does not mean you don't need a Realtor.

If my response was helpful, consider clicking BEST ANSWER!

Javier Meneses
Senior Loan Officer
STERLING NATIONAL BANK
310 Crossways Park Drive
Woodbury, NY 11797
jmeneses@snb.com
(516) 606-9648 Cell
(631) 659-2011 Office
(516) 918-5383 Fax
If i am the one finding the homes - why do i need a realtor? Also like i said earlier. if i dont bring homes to his attention then i will get listings from him maybe once a month if am lucky
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Michele Wils…, Agent, Lake Forest, IL
Wed May 22, 2013
Yes, you do need a Realtor...just not this one. If you are not getting the service you expect/deserve, find a different agent.There are too many good professional agents around for you to waste time with this one.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Wed May 22, 2013
The job description for a real estate agent has changed over the years. In the old days, we all represented the seller and we "did the footwork" of thumbing through listing cards or a listing book while sitting at a desk looking for possibilities to show you.

Today, we can now represent the buyer, and the listing agent does everything they can to get listings to your computer. It's hardly "footwork," for most of us, it's sitting at a desk surfing when we should be working (not you, Sarah, I know you respect your boss's time too much!)

Point is - you don't need a real estate agent to look at pictures of homes in your price range, with the desired characteristics in the neighborhoods you like. How you get from your printer's output tray to moving your furniture into the home, however, is a journey that most people prefer to do with an agent on their side.

if i dont need an agent then why would i want one by my side?
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
Sarah Whitfi…, Home Buyer, Queens, NY
Wed May 22, 2013
Let me explain more. I find houses on Trulia, Zillow etc. I bring them to the realtors attention ask him to look into them. If i didnt bring any homes to his attention - he will go a month without sending me potential listings. Who has that type of time.... I am looking for a home.

Thanks Anne - they all are not created equal.

I also feel that i am not a priority since I am not looking for a home over $350k. So commission is problably lower than his other clients... therefore i am not a priority.
Tim Moore, Agent, Kitty Hawk, NC
Wed May 22, 2013
What happens when you bring it to the Realtors attention? Do you go pick them up and drive them over to see it in your car? Did the owners give you a key to get in?
I seem to be doing all the foot work in SEARCHING FOR A HOME then bringing the home to my realtors attention. I have a 9-5 i have to do this to? if so, then why do I need a realtor? I am quite sure if i didnt bring it to his attention and worked it on my own - i could have gotten an appt to see the home and CERTAINLY drove myself over to it. But instead for some odd reason i feel as though i need to tell this realtor. Again...Why am I including him?
Flag Wed May 22, 2013
I seem to be doing all the foot work in SEARCHING FOR A HOME then bringing the home to my realtors attention. I have a 9-5 i have to do this to? if so, then why do I need a realtor?
Flag Wed May 22, 2013