I saw no mention of real estte taxes on the houses I looked at. Can you give me an estimate of taxes for?

Asked by Stan Jedrusiak, Philadelphia, PA Sun Feb 8, 2009

houses that sell for, say, $100-140K. Also, I saw mention of a monthly association fee of (I think)$133. Are there any other costs of living in the Village?

Answers

3
Carol Rice, Agent, Lake Mary, FL
Mon Feb 9, 2009
I work in The Villages often. There are approximately 120 houses listed between the price of $159,900 and $1,275,000. The monthly HOA is between $130 and $140. If you give me the address, I'll be happy to look up the taxes...BUT.... Taxes can vary quite a bit because The Villages are spread out between 3 counties ( Sumter, Marion & Lake ), so you really need the address to give you an estimate. Also, keep in mind, any estimate someone gives you for taxes could be based on the assessment by the county appraisers office from last year with deductions for the owners' situation (i.e. homestead exemption, etc) and for their property value. And, the county cannot raise your taxes more than 3% per year. So, if the owners have lived there for a long time, the estimate could be way under what it should be. In summary, any good agent will give you the tax estimate based on your purchase price and the millage for that county minus any deductions you're currently entitled to.

I don't mean to confuse anyone, but this is one of those things that can make a big difference to some people. If you're living on a fixed income in retirement, you need to know. Let me know if I can help you find a house in The Villages! I'm a BUYER's AGENT, and I represent YOU, not the Seller, and I can save you thousands of dollars! :-)
Lavae Dierker, , Lady Lake, FL
Thu Apr 2, 2009
I live in The Villages and sell The Villages. Taxes in Florida are set at time of purchase. The legislated Save Your Home Act limits property taxes from increasing more than 3% a year. Subsequently a long time residence tax obligation could be at a much lower amount than the new owner. Because of this some Realtors believe that it is better to calculate the proposed taxes than have a purchaser refer to the posted current tax rate for tax information. Realtors have at their disposal county web sites that will calculate tax rates for any new purchases. There are three potential costs other than the normal living expences associated with living costs in The Villages. 1st. the amenities fee. These fee currently are $135.00 but occasionally do run up to $145.00. 2nd. the bond fee. On properties built in Marion and Sumter Counties bonds were sold to cover the expense of the infrastructure for these properties. Location of the properties and distance to the property contribute to establishing the amount of the bond assigned to each property (or unit the property is located in). 3rd. the maintenance fee. Properties built in Marion and Sumter Counties are divided into Community Developement Districts. Each of these districts has a budget. The budget is divided by the total square footage of the district and then that amount is multiple by the square footage of the home owners lot to determing the amount of maintenance fee assigned to that property. For a more in depth explanation please refer to my answer regarding bonds at The Villages. If I can be of further assistance please contact me at 352-205-3473
Joellen Stra…, , Eustis, FL
Sun Feb 8, 2009
Stan,

I believe the Villages Mill Rate is 17.0000; so for every $1000 there would be a tax of $17. ($100,000 house would be around $1,7000; $150,000 would be around $2,000.)

Keep in mind there are also exemptions and the taxable value is usually less than the actual purchase price minus your exemptions, if any. (Our Homestead exemption is $50,000, except for on the school taxes portion. There are also exemptions for those 65 and older, veterans, disabled persons, etc.

This is the best information I can give you because I cannot access the tax estimator on Sumter County Tax Collector website until the end of the month when the 2008 tables have been validated.

I can locate the specific taxes on any address. Contact me if you need any further questions answered.

Thank You,
JoEllen