I saw a beautiful home but it's located on a hill and the seller's agent alluded to the fact that there may

Asked by Kathy, Los Angeles, CA Thu Jan 17, 2008

be hillside issues. What kind of professional should I consider hiring to get the proper advice about the risk of owning on home on a hillside. What kind of questions should I ask? Also, are there are any good websites for getting additional information? Thank you.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


CJ Brasiel, Agent, San Jose, CA
Thu Jan 17, 2008
Kathy -

As Jane mentioned a structural geological survey would be advised. They also can be expensive. If the home has a completed home inspection there may be comments within that report that indicate a concern about the geological make up of the property.

I can't attach PDFs but there is a very detailed report from Larkspur, CA on hillside maintenance for home owners that will point out many items. Having proper drainage is one of the most important safeguards of any hill side property. Having proper drainage also applies to the neighbors surrounding the home.

You can find the article by searching "homes hillside issues" . The report is titled, "guide to maintenance of hillside homes" and is a down loadable PDF.

Here is another link for engineers in the Los Angeles area.

Good luck!

2 votes
The Jane Gar…, Agent, Portland, OR
Thu Jan 17, 2008
I would suggest hiring a Geo Tech Engineer. They will issue you an extensive report.
1 vote
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more