I rented a house in Long Beach. CA thru a property management, the house was put into auction so we have to move out .

Asked by Luz Diwa, Carson, CA Thu Jun 20, 2013

We gave security deposit and dog deposit but the Property Management said they dont have it so how am i gonna get it??

Answers

6
Mona V., Home Buyer, Long Beach, CA
Thu Jul 4, 2013
I would think that you would be reimbursed by the property management. When you sign a rental agreement, it's considered a binding contract, part of that contract has provisions that you should receive some part of your deposit back upon moving. You can't expect to get all of it back because of the normal wear and tear on the property, nail holes in the walls, wear on the carpet and wear on the painted surfaces. Have you tried to reason with the property management company? You could take them to small claims if they refuse.
Kelli J. Mor…, Agent, Beaumont, CA
Tue Jun 25, 2013
Hopefully you can get cash for keys from whoever ends up owning the house.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/catenant.pdf

This link above gives you all the info on California Tenants rights. Michael Magaw shared it below ~ I want to second his comment! It is a great resource for knowing your legal rights as a tenant. Knowledge is power!

Best of luck to you!
Greg Brown, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Fri Jun 21, 2013
The bank realtor will probably approach you with a plan to move out in less than the 90 days alotted by law. You can then negotiate a reasonable cash for keys settlement without the hassle of small claims court. We have been able to help many tenants in this situation and would be glad to consult with you for free with no obligation.

Greg Brown
Cynthia Tisby, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Thu Jun 20, 2013
Lessees and month to month renters typically are entitled to 90 days. Make sure you request everything in writing. I would consult the Fair Housing Development Agency. Also find out who owns the place.
Trevor Laram…, Agent, Long Beach, CA
Thu Jun 20, 2013
Luz, I would suggest first verifying that they are a real property management company. Many people are running scams where they are advertising homes that are being foreclosed on for rent, they pretend to be the owner or manager, collect the rent and then disappear.

Did you receive a receipt or anything in writing verifying your deposits?
Yes i have the receipt from the Property Management but the Manager told me that she or the Management doesnt have the money , the old owner has it but she cant get hold ot the old owner anymore, she said she emailed the owner but never reply to her. I dont know where and who asked regarding this, I want to get my $2500 back , we left the property in good condition so i think we have the right to get our deposit back.
Flag Thu Jun 20, 2013
Michael Magaw, Agent, Torrance, CA
Thu Jun 20, 2013
What does your lease say regarding who holds the deposit? Typically it is held by the owner. It sounds like the owner defaulted and allowed the bank to foreclose. You may want to ask an attorney or Department of Consumer Affairs, but you may be able to try to get the deposit back through Small Claims Court.
see http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook