I recently acquired two properties in north philly. One of them is occupied by a tenant that was put in

Asked by Tee, New Jersey Sat Jan 19, 2008

there illegally by a non owner, who has been collecting rent since 1999. How do I find out the name of the tenant, how do I force him to let me view the property's condition, where can I get a copy of the landlord/tenant laws for Philly? How do I go about explaining to the tenant that all rents are to be sent to me, and enforce some type of lease for the time being?

Answers

1
Scott, , Bellingham, WA
Mon Jan 21, 2008
I suggest getting a property management company on board, as they will have the expertise to deal with this sort of problem, as well as a good formal leasing procedure. Any lease with previous owner is likely voided the minute you became the legal owner, unless there is some sort of transfer clause in the lease, in which case you should be getting the rent. I am currently using Blueline Property Management for my rentals in that area. They seem to be on the ball and could probably help out. (213) 289-0777