I really like to know why some people have a small 5,000 sq foot house sitting on five acres of land in east Hampton NY?

Asked by Maria.formenton, New York, NY Sat Mar 15, 2014

Answers

8
Timothy Burch, Agent, East Hampton, NY
Fri Mar 28, 2014
The best answer to that question may lie in the town records or a property survey. Aside from the obvious owner's personal preference to home size there may be certain restrictions on file for parcels of land with or without existing structures. Some land can be marked as preserve land or partial preserve land and can't be developed yet still privately owned. There can also be grandfathered restrictions on developing certain parcels of land. One example is the 30 acres Madonna recently purchased for her horse farm and private riding, there are restrictions that it can not be developed with a house/structures or subdivided, yet it is still privately owned.
I would be happy to inquire about any specific property you might be questioning on your behalf. I can be reached via email tburch@1townandcountry.com or at 917 275-3303.
Tim Burch
Town and Country Real Estate
East Hampton
czplumbing, Home Owner, East Hampton, NY
Tue Apr 28, 2015
because they can thats why. I wish I had more land
Irene1078, Home Owner, East Hampton, NY
Thu Jul 3, 2014
5,000 sq ft is a large house
Imtheeggmann, Home Owner, East Hampton, NY
Wed Mar 19, 2014
Because people used to be farmers out there, hello?
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Mar 16, 2014
Why not should be the question.....
Chris Chapin, Agent, Easthampton, MA
Sun Mar 16, 2014
There are houses of less than two thousand square feet on more than five acres all over the Hamptons. I can think of several.

We still have farms here in eastern Suffolk County. And plenty of people neither want nor need a gigantic house.

Also, two big luxuries in the Hamptons are space and privacy, especially for people escaping New York City. Since this is a summer resort, people spend a lot of time outdoors. The generously sized estates allow for swimming pools, tennis courts, lawns for children and grandchildren to play upon, and gardens for flowers and vegetables.
Jim Olive, Agent, Key West, FL
Sat Mar 15, 2014
It was not that long ago that 5k square feet was considered very large! Bottom line...they have it because they can! Their 5 acre parcel is worth a fortune, and they've elected to keep it rather than sell out.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Mar 15, 2014
In situations such as this one, it quite often exists because of a long period of ownership. One that finds the property in a family for several generations having been passed from one family member to another.